• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why does everyone build using a cold mold method?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik-

Looking at all the LongEz, and most all amature built planes, they are built using a cold mold method.

Whey not build a plug and pull a mold off it and then layup the parts? Seems that it would be stronger to have a part out of a mold rather than a thin skin over foam build.

Why I ask is that looking at a few photos of a plane that ran off the runway into a rut, the foam bent and the integrity went to crap.

Another plane stuck a marker light and it's got a gaping hole that makes repair more difficult than had the glass been laid up in a mold and used a Divinycell core.

Sorry, I'm in the boating business and the cold molded boats all seem to have problems and make for difficult repairs so I'm just wondering out loud

Back