Why do you buy plans poll .....

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Why did you choose plan build?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cheapracer

Simple question, do you want to/ did you buy plans because;

A/ You can't afford a kit or used aircraft.

B/ For the thrill of building it, also I don't have a big budget so that helped decide.

C/ Purely for the build thrill, money had no bearing on the choice.

cheapracer

D. It was the design I wanted. E. I wanted to built from scratch. F. Information, comparison to other designs.

Not relevant.

My poll, as in not your poll, is specific to understand what customer base might be available from plans purchasers based on cost.

Not relevant.

My poll, as in not your poll, is specific to understand what customer base might be available from plans purchasers based on cost.

None of your categories fit why I bought most of my plans, or why I will buy another in the future. Cost was/is irrelevant.

Edit: Scratch most and replace with all.

Vision_2012

None of your categories fit why I bought most of my plans, or why I will buy another in the future. Cost was/is irrelevant.

Same with me. I am building my second plane, scratch from plans as these were what I wanted to build and I am not building for the thrill of building but to have a new plane of the model I chose. When flying my new plane, I won't be building another for the fun of building.

cheapracer

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

I am not building for the thrill of building but to have a new plane of the model I chose.

Must be me, I get thrilled (maybe "excited" would have been a better word) over any and all of my projects and the potential outcome.

I get excited, even obsessed, with a lot of my projects. But, I think, for a lot of us that build things buying plans is kind of like buying bolts and 4130 tube. It's just a necessary item to get us to a goal.

The other reason to buy plans, at least for me, is the same reason I buy books. It's a learning tool. I've got a bunch of plans that I never intend to build anything from, but I've learned a bit about how to build better aircraft, and other things, from every one I've studied. It's a non destructive way to rip apart another designers creation to see exactly how he did things and get a bit of insight into the way their mind works.

Added thought:
The internet has pretty much destroyed the "info pack" industry. In years past some "designers" made a fair income by selling nothing more than information packets for aircraft that, in some cases, had never flown. I'd speculate that better than 50% of those that bought the information packs never even got around to ordering the plans. They had a bit of their dream to look at and ponder - until "life" returned and provided tasks with higher priority.

bmcj

Supporting Member
I buy plans for multiple (layered) reasons. It's never about budget. The dreamer in me plans to build every single one of them; the realist in me acknowledges that I'll never be able to build them all. Still, I revel in the knowledge that I have the plans on hand to study, learn, marvel over, and hopefully to build.

I also buy NOW because the plans may not be available LATER... bird in hand kind of thing.

So, it's a matter of the thrill of the build (and first flight), the comforting assuredness of possession, and the satisfaction of preservation for posterity, knowing that there is at least one set of plans for a fine design that are in good, caring hands that won't let them be lost to obscurity.

Last edited:

FritzW

I've bought every set of airplanes plans I could over the last ...errr, several decades. And I never bought one of them for any of the reasons offered in this poll. TFF and bmcj have covered all my reasons except for maybe, I have a little OCD ;)

1427755024.jpg ...it's a disease

1427755024 (1).jpg ...same reason I have a hardbound set of all the old (good) Sport Avaition's :gig:

Kevin N

Like others I have many sets of plans for entertainment. I think money for an expensive kit is better spent on shop equipment. I can make anything that's available in a kit. Thrill of the build for me. So far one scratch built Pitts for me and many welded components for other folks.

SVSUSteve

I've bought every set of airplanes plans I could over the last ...errr, several decades. And I never bought one of them for any of the reasons offered in this poll. TFF and bmcj have covered all my reasons except for maybe, I have a little OCD ;)

View attachment 39277 ...it's a disease

View attachment 39278 ...same reason I have a hardbound set of all the old (good) Sport Avaition's :gig:

Can I be put in your will? LOL

RonL

B for me, as soon as I determine if I need KR-1 or KR-2s plans, knowing they will need to be changed to sport flying results, I will be looking for information from anyone in HBA and the KRnet list.

Ron

rdj

Supporting Member
Just FYI, another reason I prefer kit planes that can be both kit and scratch built is that it provides a degree of insurance against the kit manufacturer going belly-up halfway through a build. It also makes it easier to maintain progress when the plans are sufficiently detailed to build replacement parts for the ones you *ahem* mistakenly destroy, instead of waiting weeks or perhaps months for replacements from the factory.