Why battery-powered aircraft will never have significant range

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Probably forty years at the current incremental pace for battery technology gaining 2-4% a year. Two significant unknowns:
1. Charging infrastructure
2. Some break through in energy storage tech. e.g. Solve hydrogen fuel cell thermal issues, solid state batteries, silicon super capacitor....

Based on the money going into #2; I think it will happen. Question is when.
I'd add several more years to that for the FAA approval process.

dog

The release of the new graphine aluminum battery is a non incrimental game changer.
Triples the energy density,charges almost instantainiously,and uses non toxic materials that are not rare.
Graphine is still fussy to make,but will acomadate economys of scale.

Enjoy

tspear

@dog

Will be interesting to watch this space. I think it was IBM who announced one last year also which supposedly had four times the density of current Li batteries.
That would put it in the same range. Plus you have the solid state guys, and zinc slurry....

Tim

sming

Very interesting and well articulated talk by the Beta CEO:
I like the way they think (systemic approach)

starrtit

HBA Supporter
When this thread started a long time ago,I posted that in Canada we flew an RC from coast to coast [ thats across the second largest country in the world] all by land based electric cells beaming to the RC. It was great news for a few days but has not been heard of since, but im sure a group of Canadians somewhere is being very tight lipped about about the system design and we have an abundance of electrical power.

Albert [ Starrtit]
patent pending on the worlds most powerful press- stay tuned.

dog

@dog

Will be interesting to watch this space. I think it was IBM who announced one last year also which supposedly had four times the density of current Li batteries.
That would put it in the same range. Plus you have the solid state guys, and zinc slurry....

Tim
Zink Slurry!!??
With a name that bad its gota be good,or at least a good read,I hope.
And yes there are lots and lots of battery ideas.
The graphene aluminum has reached a significant step in building "coin batterys" which are standardized test coupons for the battery world.

dog

@dog

An example: Development of Flow Fields for Zinc Slurry Air Flow Batteries

I recall variations of this going back at least a decade.

Tim
Another redox flow battery,which might be useable eventualy for grid balancing or as storage batteries,needing pumps and tanks and valving its not the most suitsble for a mobile aplication,and I stoped reading when I read the word "platinum"
Graphine(carbon)and aluminum ,materials availible everywhere,graphene costs will drop dramaticaly with industrial production.

Kiwi303

I remember reading about Graphene storage systems years ago, 2014 or thereabouts, it's taken a long time to get from an interesting idea to an interesting lab product...

next step a manufacturing product.

tallank

The release of the new graphine aluminum battery is a non incrimental game changer.
Triples the energy density,charges almost instantainiously,and uses non toxic materials that are not rare.
Graphine is still fussy to make,but will acomadate economys of scale.

Enjoy
Where is this kind of electric power coming from? Sure is not available in your house. The size of the cables would be humongous.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Where is this kind of electric power coming from? Sure is not available in your house. The size of the cables would be humongous.
We wouldn't have to use the high charging rate, but it is available if needed (e.g. at a vehicle recharging site with high current capability).
Also, as a generality, most batteries that have the capability to charge quickly also have the ability to be discharged quickly. Which can he handy...or dangerous.

Dan Thomas

I remember reading about Graphene storage systems years ago, 2014 or thereabouts, it's taken a long time to get from an interesting idea to an interesting lab product...

next step a manufacturing product.
That's the point the physicist in the video was making. It takes a long time to refine a battery technology to worthwhile commercial levels.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
One observation about new battery tech, and the recurring disappointments:

1) We observe that present batteries don't have sufficient energy density or specific energy for our hoped-for uses. "If only...."
2) Somebody develops a light, small battery that packs more power. Yippee! But then we find out it:
A) Catches fire frequently
and/or
B) Costs $5000/kwh to produce
and/or
C) Vents hazardous gasses
and/or
D) Has a high internal discharge rate (charge it this AM, dead this PM)
and/or
E) Has an impractically short service life (cycles/days)
and/or
F) Has impractical storage/use temperature rqmts
G) Require environmentally problematic materials or processes.

Etc, etc
That doesn't mean better batteries are impossible, but it is useful to keep in mind that, for most uses, a practical battery has to meet a LOT of criteria. This is obvious, but when we read the breathless announcements of the amazing latest breakthrough, it's not a bad idea to mentally see if it checks all the boxes. Tip: The requirement(s) not discussed in the press release should raise suspicions.

Last edited:

dog

@dog

An example: Development of Flow Fields for Zinc Slurry Air Flow Batteries

I recall variations of this going back at least a decade.

Tim
Zink Air Battery,the name is better and the tech
is interesting.
Specificaly mentions short haul aircraft as a target market as well.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Volocopter introduces the eVTOL "VoloConnect" 4-seater. 100 mph . 60 miles. Looks neat!
Volocopter Goes Bigger, Faster, Farther With VoloConnect eVTOL | Aviation Week Network
“We have been flying multiple scaled models,” Volocopter CEO Florian Reuter said, unveiling the VoloConnect during the European Business Aviation Convention & Exhibition (EBACE) Connect virtual conference on May 17. “We are working fast toward flying full-scale prototypes … and expect to be coming back with new full-scale footage very soon.”

BJC