Why battery-powered aircraft will never have significant range

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Because it's the chemical bond strength of the atoms in the molecules that matters. And that's something that's well understood, with no breakthroughs even remotely likely.
What he said! Another way to size it up is reactivity. Climb high on both ends of the periodic table and you get the most reactive and the least. It is no accident we ended up chasing Lithium ion batteries and Hydrogen fuel cells. We are painted into that corner. Lots of power if you unleash either. Controlling it is another story.

Dan Thomas

It has to be very spartan airfame you are correct....good thing about batteries is that it needs no supercharger at higher altitudes....you might need some oxygen.
You'd need a LOT of oxygen, not "some." And it is stored under high pressure in heavy tanks. You will also need heat, since the air temperature at 65K is -56.5 C (-69°F), and you have to factor in wind chill on that cabin. Where does the heat come from? The batteries, of course, and it's a significant drain. Electric cars here in Canada's winters see their ranges drop drastically with the heater on.

Just wishful thinking you have there. As Orion used to say, "What you believe or do not believe does not change the facts." Physics involves some very hard realities, as kids who jump off roofs thinking they can fly find out. It's time you addressed the realities and stopped daydreaming.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
My mother used to say "don't confuse me with facts, I've made up my mind!" I still use it even though she has been dead for quite a while.

Pressure suit at that altitude unless you have some sort of amazing way to collect air molecules and compress them. Collecting them is the tough part. Nothing new here.

Speedboat100

Banned
I yay yay

<Dr. Evil voice, pinky finger at corner of mouth> Will there be pedals?

There are DhComet type pedals and a fish like tail that creates thust by fish tailing.

:cool:

Looking like an ill tempered sea bass that learned to fly.

;)

Last edited:

starrtit

HBA Supporter
Hah , It seems like everybody here is stuck on the solar power bit. You have'nt a clue on the clandestine work being done to capture the earth magnetic field for power.

Dusan

Or design a balloon and you only need 1.5 G strength. Better yet the anti gravity flying machine only needs 1 G for when it is unpowered,
Who needs anti-gravity?:)
Gravity is a fictitious phenomenon, fact demonstrated by Einstein, as it's just a space-time curvature effect. Just bend the space and time back to straight using your thoughts and there you go!

berridos

Hydrogen was the big hope in the 80`s. Seems our media machinery doesnt evolve.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Hydrogen dirigibles are efficient, just give people a little pill to get them past their volatility concerns add a electric fan and look at all that space for solar panels.

Dan Thomas

Hah , It seems like everybody here is stuck on the solar power bit. You have'nt a clue on the clandestine work being done to capture the earth magnetic field for power.
Aha. That must be why it's weakening. They're stealing it.

Dan Thomas

Hydrogen dirigibles are efficient, just give people a little pill to get them past their volatility concerns add a electric fan and look at all that space for solar panels.
Better to lease all that space for advertising and use the revenue to buy gasoline. Advertising is much more efficient at generating propulsive power.

pictsidhe

I'm sorry, but this thread has decended ascended into the realms of fantasy, as most electric threads tend to.
But, onto another topic. I have created a powerplant that will give a Cub a 10,000 mile range, while still allowing it whup ass in STOL competitions. The only drawback is the fuel is proving hard to obtain. It is made from unicorn poop

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I'm sorry, but this thread has decended ascended into the realms of fantasy, as most electric threads tend to.
But, onto another topic. I have created a powerplant that will give a Cub a 10,000 mile range, while still allowing it whup ass in STOL competitions. The only drawback is the fuel is proving hard to obtain. It is made from unicorn poop
I have some Unicorn poop I am willing to sell you.