Why battery-powered aircraft will never have significant range

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Bill-Higdon

There are helium wells being drilled around here in Saskatchewan. It's a product of the decay of uranium and thorium, as I understand it. Probably a lot cheaper than distilling it from the air.
Helium in the US was from gas wells that had a lot of it in their gas, the US government decided to get out of the business changing the market dynamics

Bill-Higdon

Not being much good at chemistry, I have to ask how many of those three electrons are available for exchange?

From Wiki:

Although common in nature – both terrestrially and in the outer planets of the Solar System – and in wide use, ammonia is both caustic and hazardous in its concentrated form. In the United States it is classified as an extremely hazardous substance, and is subject to strict reporting requirements by facilities which produce, store, or use it in significant quantities.[13]

NH3 boils at −33.34 °C (−28.012 °F) at a pressure of one atmosphere, so the liquid must be stored under pressure or at low temperature. Household ammonia or ammonium hydroxide is a solution of NH3 in water. The concentration of such solutions is measured in units of the Baumé scale (density), with 26 degrees Baumé (about 30% (by weight) ammonia at 15.5 °C or 59.9 °F) being the typical high-concentration commercial product.[17]

Sounds real safe, doesn't it?
In my opinion ammonia is safer than some of the alternatives, the pressure is required is similar to propane, here's some interesting technology The world's first high-temperature ammonia-powered fuel cell for shipping

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
With weak battery power it isn’t that difficult to hover with low disc loading. But hovering isn’t much use. Even slow cruise is difficult with a large, low disc loading contraption in any wind.