Quantcast

Why battery-powered aircraft will never have significant range

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I say 300 km is already significant.
Range of well less than 1% of the circumference of Earth is not a significant accomplishment unless the mission is only to fly across town and then recharge overnight (unless you're comparing aircraft to horse-drawn carriages).

Speedboat100

Range of well less than 1% of the circumference of Earth is not a significant accomplishment unless the mission is only to fly across town and then recharge overnight (unless you're comparing aircraft to horse-drawn carriages).

Everything is relative...now they cannot leave the home base.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Everything is relative...
Puh-leez. If I can acquire a horse and feed it for less than an "advanced" airplane and cover more territory per day, then the airplane is no technical accomplishment, whether it runs on oats or pedal power or solar energy or nuclear fusion. Yeah, it's relative, TopSpeedBoat100.

John.Roo

Hello!
So it means that when electric airplane will achieve 400 km range it will be reasonable minimum? :)
Best regards!
Martin

Speedboat100

Hello!
So it means that when electric airplane will achieve 400 km range it will be reasonable minimum? :)
Best regards!
Martin

In a good tail wind a 300 km aircraft can easily fly 400 km. That is plenty, but it is no transcontinental miracle ship.

Last edited:

Speedboat100

How are you going to charge it to get home? Do we now have to add the weight of an onboard charger?
Mr. poormansairforce...in the early days of the computer it was estimated that the whole global demand of the computers would be 4 units. Let's think same in chargers...and hope the second charger will be there where I am going ?

....and some oats...as I like oatmeal in the morning.

poormansairforce

Let's think same in chargers...and hope the second charger will be there where I am going ?
Let me know when that becomes reality. There's so little money in GA today that I find it very difficult to believe this will ever happen in my lifetime. You can't even get auto gas at most airports. I can't see airports flocking to put chargers in every hanger as well as for general use on the ramp. And please don't say the words 'solar panel'.....

Speedboat100

Let me know when that becomes reality. There's so little money in GA today that I find it very difficult to believe this will ever happen in my lifetime. You can't even get auto gas at most airports. I can't see airports flocking to put chargers in every hanger as well as for general use on the ramp. And please don't say the words 'solar panel'.....

How about if electric flight will cause a revolution in GA aviation ?

Motors are light...this makes a very light and possibly safe flight possible.

Down side today is an inadequate range...just 100-200 km at best of the systems.

Vin-Fiz-1911.jpg

Maybe we have to look back to find the answers the GA industry is hectically looking for.

Above Vin Fiz a Wright model R in Long Island in 1911.