• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Why are C150s (and other trainers/entry level planes) suddenly so expensive??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayKoit

Back in 2014, I bought a 1972 C150L with a mid time engine, upgraded avionics, and recent interior in Southern California for $17,500. During my time shopping, I looked at several in comparable condition, all under $20K. There were also plenty of Cherokee 140/160s going for 23-25K.

Fast forward 7 years, and now when I pull up Barnstormers and Trade-a-Plane, a decent C150 is at least $28-30K, and the nicer ones are over $50K! (a 150L nearly identical to mine just sold for 34K, double what I paid). And Cherokee 140's are crazy too - run out models are $35K, buy and fly looks to be at least 40-45K, almost double the cost from only seven years ago...

To what do we owe this? I'm surprised, between aviation insurance being more difficult, the pandemic, etc. I figured the cost of GA planes would dip instead of skyrocket. Is there really a supply and demand issue going on here? Or is it a bubble? Just curious...

Back