Who's going to OSH?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by PTAirco, Jun 28, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 28, 2009 #1

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

So who is going to Oshkosh this year?

After having given up on going for yet another year, because I couldn't get the Human Mailing Tube schedules lined up, I had some good news; the local flight school owner where I occasionally rent the odd Cessna to stay in practice, put out the word if anyone was interested in going with him in his Bonanza. That has now grown to two Bonanzas and 7 of us flying out there. Leaving Chino (KCNO) crossing the hills fairly far south to avoid going too high and then straight for OSH. With 7 pilots sharing the flying it should be a fun trip. And we're pretty well covered for the "if the pilot has a heart attack" scenario. We'll be loaded to the gunwhales, of course ("Would All Passengers Please Lean Forward During Take Off"). We're sharing a house for the duration, some of us sleeping on the floor.

It might be nice to have a quick get-together for forum members who are going there this year.

2. Jun 29, 2009 #2

addaon

addaon

addaon

I haven't decided yet. I feel like it's giving in to drive there, but I have no other way to get there yet. I've never been before. Anyone want to convince me?

3. Jun 29, 2009 #3

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Every year. Meeting place used to be the base of the tower at a certain time and day. PM's with cell phone numbers works too.

Billski

4. Jun 29, 2009 #4

addaon

addaon

addaon

For a potential first-time-goer, what's the setup if I drive in? Will I have difficulty finding a place to pitch a tent? Do I need to plan anything (tentsite, etc) in advance?

5. Jun 29, 2009 #5

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Sadly, I will not make it this year.

As for camping, they have a huge campground. Getting a spot should not be an issue.

Peter (and anyone else looking for a ride), EAA has a place on their website where people looking for rides or pilots flying with empty seats can post their needs or availabilities.

Bruce :)

6. Jun 29, 2009 #6

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

I'll be camping with RV-7 799GH. We are shipping our camping gear to Wittman Field this year to stay light for the Airventure Cup race.

Steve

7. Jun 29, 2009 #7

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

My wife offered to buy me a plane ticket to go while the kids are visiting the grandparents and she is at a wedding all week (she is awesome). But alas, it's not in the cards. I just can't justify the expense considering I'm only a few months from another year long trip and a family trip is in the works. If I was thinking I should have called up EAA and had them call my unit to put an OH-58 on display at Oshkosh. Then I could have been getting paid to be there! My luck someone else would have been selected to go anyway.....

8. Jun 29, 2009 #8

scuba72

scuba72

scuba72

Went last year for the first time and will go again this year. Camped in Camp Scholler (EAA Campground) and had no problem finding a decent spot. There is always an available camp sight, although it may not be in the best spots. I stayed Sunday through Saturday last year and am extending it this year to Friday to Sunday.

Addeon, Don't put it off, go. You'll be so overwhelmed and try to get it all in that you'll get a little disapointed, then you'll realize you just tried too hard and look forward to seeing what you missed the next year.

A forum get together would be nice. I'll be there all week. Us VP builders/flyers are planning a get together at the Big Yellow Balloon on Tuesday.

9. Jun 29, 2009 #9

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Yes, and if you're there before the official opening day, check the schedule and take the time to sit beside the runway and watch some of the mass arrivals. Also, if you've never been there, take at least half a day to go to the seaplane base.

10. Jun 29, 2009 #10

addaon

addaon

addaon

Okay, I'm convinced. I'll drive in a day or so early, I suppose, and tent it.

Any other "must sees" for a first timer?

11. Jun 30, 2009 #11

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

The first year I attended, Benjamin Delmar was knife edging his Bee Gee R2 repica down the runway. I thought Shawn Tucker was going to crash after spinning a Waco down very low.
    This is an amazing airshow. It is hard to see everything in one week. The best thing to do is view the Airventure web site and make a plan. Although it is hard to stick to a plan once you get there, to much cool stuff everywhere.

The advice I will give is to make sure you have good shoes.
    You will do alot of walking.

Steve

12. Jun 30, 2009 #12

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Personally, while I enjoy a good aerobatic routine, I use the airshow time to visit some of the displays and vendors (while the crowds are at the flightline). I have already seen most of the acts (or similar) at numerous other airshows and only visit the flightline for something truly unique (for example, the Rocket Racing League demo).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  13. Jun 30, 2009 #13

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

The big yellow balloon is a great place for get togethers. :beer:
    Steve

14. Jun 30, 2009 #14

scuba72

scuba72

scuba72

Must sees? Depends what your interested in. For a first timer, take it from experience and don't try to see everything. You can't do it in a week unless you spend 2 seconds looking at everything. Use the Airventure web sight to plan your trip. Decide what you must see and what you want to see. The web sight has a planner this year which is helping me decide my plan.

I agree that during the Airshow is a great time to roam the grounds. If you've seen one pilot fly a hammerhead stall, you've seen them all. Julie Clarks routine is worth it though. She is so graceful in the air. Plus I do like the heritage flights since I'm retires Air Force. But as your looking at that vintage Stinson, you can always look up and see the flying going on.

15. Jul 4, 2009 #15

steveair2

steveair2

steveair2

Hmmmm...........four out of four thousand and ten.............not bad! not bad!

16. Jul 4, 2009 #16

pepsi71ocean

pepsi71ocean

pepsi71ocean

i'll go once i get a working engine, and can stick it in the back of my truck, lol. Outside of that i couldn't afford to go. But ide like to. Love to see a Mustang close up.

17. Jul 12, 2009 #17

Nozzlejocky

Nozzlejocky

Nozzlejocky

I'll be there, hopefully a few days. I plan to spend some time volunteering at the seaplane base as well as spending time on the grounds. Great time to be had for sure. Hope the weather is nice. If the weather patterns stay as they have as of late, should be really nice.

18. Jul 12, 2009 #18

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I had about 5 hours of Bonanza and Debonair time last week, including my high performance endorsement yesterday, all in preparation for our trip, including a nice flight up the coastal route right over the top of LAX.
    Cockpit temperature yesterday here in Corona must have been 115 degrees, 100 on the ground. Our route is all planned out, taking in as many mogas stops as we can find - they are few and far between down in the southwest.
    Let's hope the weather co-operates.

19. Jul 12, 2009 #19

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

That heat would kill me, I think.
    What altitude is needed to cruise in comfort?
    BB

20. Jul 13, 2009 #20

longezdave

longezdave

longezdave

I'll be arriving on Sunday as part of the AirVenture Cup racers. This is my first year to enter. I've been working on my plane trying to get that last knot for the race. I'll see you in the race Steve.