• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Who's an expert on Kolb aircraft!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benboosted

As you might have read from my other thread, I'm going back and forth on whether to buy a Quicksilver Sport 2s or a Kolb Firestar II SS. Even though I love the open cockpit design of the QS, it's impossible to ignore the convenience of Kolb's foldable wings for ease of transport and storage. But every time I watch a youtube video with the camera perspective either from the pilot's seating position or from the wing looking back at the cockpit, I get very excited thinking about flying with that open sky all around and from below.

Which brings me to the reason I started this thread. While perusing Kolb's website I happened upon the pdf file of a magazine article detailing a project some guy built a firefly with pontoon attachments but he left the nose canopy off, opening up the front much like the open concept of a QS. My question is, in any of your experience or theory, can the Firestar II SS could be built in the same fashion? Without the canopy? I'm asking out of complete ignorance not knowing the first thing about how these aircraft are constructed. I understand there would be some sacrifice in airspeed/range, but I'd be ok with that. Combining the best of both worlds (open cockpit + wing fold design) would be worth it.

What do you guys think?

Back