Who will heat-treat for homebuilders?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Matt G.

OK, a helpful but incomplete answer, Matt G. Have you done business with Bodycote? Which office? Did you tell them it was for an airplane? How much did they charge?

Anxious to hear the details.
My friend had some 4130 fittings for a TC'd glider resto, and a new tailwheel spring for his homebuilt glider heat treated by the Wichita location. I can't imagine why he wouldn't have told them what it was for if they had asked. No idea what it cost, but that's irrelevant since you have a different material and amount of parts. As was suggested by someone else, call them up, tell them what you need, and see what they say. Being that their corporate page mentions aerospace and defense work, they are not going to shy away from airplane parts.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
To you answer your question, call Robbie Grove at Grove Aircraft and ask him. They farm out heat treating of aluminum and he's a great guy. Just don't call on Monday morning, call him at the end of the week before quitting time.

kent Ashton

I found a place that will treat a set of wing ribs for $230--their minimum charge. I told them it was for a homebuilt and they had no objection. The current standard for treating alum. alloy parts is ASM 2770.
http://mmptdpublic.jsc.nasa.gov/prc/7192h.pdf

That normally involves conductivity test post-treatment --see Para 8.0.2 in the PDF (additional $50)--, but they allow persons to waive the test. I did not request straightening either. $230 is about right. Some 15 years ago I had a set treated for about $125. Factor-in 4% annual inflation and that comes to $230 today.

I only needed one wing of ribs done this time but I like the process of making the ribs out of 2024-T0 and getting them heat-treated. I made a sort of thick UHMW plastic button to go on my rivet gun and it pounds them into a pleasing shape pretty fast.

When the ribs come back, I will post the name.

Attachments

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Contrary to some of the things I hear most places could care less if it's for an airplane. 99% of everything a homebuilder needs comes from some sort or aircraft supplier or in the form of raw material. A lot of it is just water cooler talk.

DangerZone

HBA Supporter
They aren't much use to me if you won't identify them.

One more time: Who knows, and can identify, a company that does heat-treating for homebuilders?
Most of the companies I know are local so that won't be much of use to you. But this method of findin the closest one with good enough quality could be a good path to get the task done. The following company from Ohio has a video which shows the machines, furnaces and baths they use. This could be a good start, at least you know they'd have the right equipment and they might be in a 500 miles range (this is just an asumption based on state distances).

[video=youtube;Q1QC2IBN02A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QC2IBN02A[/video]

This is their website, they have a couple of aerospace certificates so they could probably do any stuff you would demand.

Hydroforming Company | Jones Metal Products

What kind of heat treatment do you need for your aluminim ribs? I had an impression every professional shop would do heat treatment of aluminim according to specs you or your engineers provide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armilite

Anyone have a heat-treat company that will treat 2024-T0 ribs for a homebuilder without lying to them about the end-use?

Yeah, I know, "ribs for a race car spoiler" might work but I would rather give my business to someone who actually wants it.
-Kent
==================================================================================

> If I had the capability to heat them evenly to 910-930 degrees, which is what Mil-H-6088 requires, I would certainly do that.<

==================================================================================

You can build an Airplane, but you can't build your own Heat Treat oven for small parts? Did you ever Google Heat Treat Oven Plans?

http://ftpforge.chez-alice.fr/HEAT_TREATMENT_FURNACE.pdf

Just a thought!

Armilite

Good one! I will save the article but since I only have one set of ribs to treat, the "time or money" equation seems to favor sending them off. :)
========================================================================

FREE Electric Stoves off Craigslist. FREE to $5 for a 30, 40, 50, 60, etc Gallon Steel Drum, which ever Size fits your Parts. Electric Self Cleaning Stoves on Slef Clean, usually Lock the Door, and then go up to very High Temps. Canabilize Electric Elements, and other parts. Radio Shack, ebay is a good source for Parts needed. Take a Plasma Cutter, use a Cheap Plasma Circle attachment, cut a large Round Hole in one end. Then make a Cover Plate a little bigger than the hole in the drum. You can get real fancy, and say put a Smaller Gallon Drum inside another Bigger Gallon Drum and fill around it with Insulation Material like they use for Gas Fired, or Electric Metal Melters. Visit your local Salvage/Junk Yard, you would be surprized what you may find for pennys on the dollar.

kent Ashton

Just to finish up the thread for me, the final cost to treat 11 ribs was $230 plus an 18% energy surcharge, plus a shipping charge, plus a 3% credit card surcharge so the total came to $312.65 from Bennett Heat Treating & Brazing Co, in Newark, NJ. It was more than I liked but it's done. I waived post-treatment hardness and conductivity testing (an extra $51) but it appears they did the testing anyway.

$230 was their minimum fee so I probably could have had a whole set of 22 ribs done for about the same price. I did not have to lie to get service.

FWIW, other heat-treaters I contacted were;

Pinson Valley - did not respond to my online email
Donovan Heat Treating - responded but said they don't have a suitable furnace(?)
Bodycote - said they could do it but I had already sent them off