Who will heat-treat for homebuilders?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

kent Ashton

Anyone have a heat-treat company that will treat 2024-T0 ribs for a homebuilder without lying to them about the end-use?

Yeah, I know, "ribs for a race car spoiler" might work but I would rather give my business to someone who actually wants it.
-Kent

BBerson

HBA Supporter
The flat sheet blanks could he heat treated and quenched to condition W. They are soft and formable in condition W for about 30 minutes.
If placed in 32° they will be formable for several hours, and with dry ice a more extended period.
The work hardening from forming in condition W improves the strength and they may not need artificial aging.
This method eliminates post heat treatment straightening.

kent Ashton

The flat sheet blanks could he heat treated and quenched to condition W.
Well Duh! If I had the capability to heat them evenly to 910-930 degrees, which is what Mil-H-6088 requires, I would certainly do that.

To repeat: Who has found a heat-treater that will do this for homebuilders?

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Well Duh! If I had the capability to heat them evenly to 910-930 degrees, which is what Mil-H-6088 requires, I would certainly do that.

To repeat: Who has found a heat-treater that will do this for homebuilders?
Sorry, I didn't state my point:
It might be easier to find a heat treater that will do simple flat sheets rather than aircraft parts that imply more liability on them. Seems rather absurd to lie to a company that does critical work.
Just giving some thoughts... I guess you are not interested.

TFF

Being in NASCAR land, have you been rejected by any of the locals? ,Reality comes in that no one wants the liability; one reason aerospace costs so much. If they dont care about that it comes down to batch size; too small, not worth the trouble. Piggyback on someone else's order really only works when you are local. You can try some place like Heat Treating Services, Steel, Metal, Aluminum, Aerospace, Seattle WA I bet cost prohibitive.

TFF

As for lying about use, I many times flip my company shirt inside out when going to certain places like bearing suppliers, and auto generator places. The little helicopter on the shirt has had the welcome mat pulled out more than once. Filp the shirt and they dont care. Just reality. I hate the question,'What is this going on?" 58 GMC V6 is the answer.

kent Ashton

Sorry, I didn't state my point:
It might be easier to find a heat treater that will do simple flat sheets rather than aircraft parts that imply more liability on them. Seems rather absurd to lie to a company that does critical work.
Just giving some thoughts... I guess you are not interested.
Now that you've said something on point, I'm interested. The NASCAR angle is a possibility around here.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Now that you've said something on point, I'm interested. The NASCAR angle is a possibility around here.
Ok, then start at the beginning. Where will you get annealed sheet?
Ribs are typically .020" for Cessnas, perhaps .025" for some homebuilts.
But Aircraft Spruce only stocks .032" and .040" 2024-O.
It might be hard to find in small amounts.
2024-T3 can be used if you have a local heat treater as I suggested.
If you need to ship long distance than the parts will age harden before you get them home to straighten.

I do some heat treating, but not an expert.

Heat treating wing ribs is typically not a homebuilder skill. Nor do they typically hire it done, as far as I know.
So, I doubt anyone here does it. But let's see what others say.

kent Ashton

Ok, then start at the beginning. Where will you get annealed sheet?
Ribs are typically .020" for Cessnas, perhaps .025" for some homebuilts.
But Aircraft Spruce only stocks .032" and .040" 2024-O.
It might be hard to find in small amounts.
2024-T3 can be used if you have a local heat treater as I suggested.
If you need to ship long distance than the parts will age harden before you get them home to straighten.

I do some heat treating, but not an expert.

Heat treating wing ribs is typically not a homebuilder skill. Nor do they typically hire it done, as far as I know.
So, I doubt anyone here does it. But let's see what others say.
Jeez, how hard can this be? I have the 2024-T0 sheet (from Airparts). I have made the airfoils. Now i need an outfit that will heat-treat them. That was my original question. "Who will heat-treat for homebuilders?" Jeesh.

D

deftone

Jeez, how hard can this be? I have the 2024-T0 sheet (from Airparts). I have made the airfoils. Now i need an outfit that will heat-treat them. That was my original question. "Who will heat-treat for homebuilders?" Jeesh.
Whats with the bad attitude? Do the legwork yourself if you are not happy with other peoples answers.

For what its worth, I have always been honest with what I was doing and as long as I stated it wasnt going on a certified aircraft I have never had any issue with a company not wanting to do the work down here in Louisiana/Texas. I usually stick with the smaller places, Im not sure what the larger companies would say.

Is there a particular reason you dont want them to know it is for an aircraft?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell them what the alloy is and the required temper. If they want to know what it's for, "I'm not at liberty to say."

Dana

kent Ashton

For what its worth, I have always been honest with what I was doing and as long as I stated it wasnt going on a certified aircraft I have never had any issue with a company not wanting to do the work down here in Louisiana/Texas. I usually stick with the smaller places, Im not sure what the larger companies would say.
We are discussing heat-treating for homebuliders, i.e., non-certified end-use. You say you know companies that will do it but you don't say who. Why did you respond in this thread?

Is there a particular reason you dont want them to know it is for an aircraft?
2. RTFQ. I said I do NOT want to lie about the end-use to get service.

Whats with the bad attitude?.
Now you know why.

D

deftone

We are discussing heat-treating for homebuliders, i.e., non-certified end-use. You say you know companies that will do it but you don't say who. Why did you respond in this thread?
I also said here in Louisiana, I see you are in NC, naming companies I have used in Lafayette and Houston isn't really much good to you.

And I didn't suggest you lie, you said you were looking to get wing ribs heat treated, even to the non-aviation general public it would be pretty pointless to lie about it. Have local companies indicated that they do not want to do your parts?

kent Ashton

I also said here in Louisiana, I see you are in NC, naming companies I have used in Lafayette and Houston isn't really much good to you.
They aren't much use to me if you won't identify them.

One more time: Who knows, and can identify, a company that does heat-treating for homebuilders?

Midniteoyl

Since kent doesnt seem to actually want any help or advice, I suggest you guys leave him to his own and let him figure it out... I mean "Well Duh! How hard can it be to ask a simple question?", to use kent's attitude about it all..

Seriously..

kent Ashton

Since kent doesnt seem to actually want any help or advice. . .
Why do you say that? I am only trying to get an answer to my question. Apparently, nobody who reads this list has any experience with a company that will heat-treat for hombuilders. Fine.

Non-answers, off-topic answers, and B.S. answers are the nature of the internet. One takes what one can from the mix, ignores the rest, and moves on. I am not offended by your post. It just doesn't help me. :)

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most homebuilders have no need of heat treating services, which is probably why nobody is offering the answers you want. I have dealt with heat treaters in the course of my job, and they never ask what it's for, unless I'm working with them to determine the optimum process (not a factor if you already know what the desired temper is). Now maybe a wing rib would arouse suspicion in a liability conscious company, I don't know. I suggest you send heat treaters in your area a drawing and ask for a quote, without mentioning the application.

Dana

harrisonaero

Uh, suggest you call local heat treaters. Solution treating aluminum is really common. Expect to pay. Next time bash them out of T3 with larger bend radii.

Group Builder