Who do I call?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

The STOL people prefer the manual flaps if possible because they can get the movement faster. They want extra lift or want to kill lift fast. It’s not a big plane so leverage should not be an issue. I have a friend who pretty much has to have electric flaps but his body was destroyed in a car crash. It’s amazing that he can fly at all. If you met him away from the airport, you would say no way. If it’s well designed manual will be better than a conversion.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I lost the use of my right arm for 7 years and still had no problem using the manual flaps flying my Cherokee.

Dalmo

I'm liking the idea of giving the manual flaps 12 months worth of trial before making a final decision. I can sense the support for manual flaps is very strong and backed by experience, which is what I lack, so that's what I'll do - give the manual flaps a go. If after 12 months I don't like them, I believe the actuator approach suggested by Daleandee sounds like a good place to start.
Many thanks to all - you've opened my eyes and mind to doing things differently.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Dalmo, you are absolutely on the right track by starting with the simple solution and leaving your options open to add the other system later.

I am very much opinionated about this subject because I'm actually "in the manual flap business" outside of this E-AB forum. What I can add is that the physical feedback through the manual flap control is something that offers a significant advantage too, outside of the other factors.

It's the same principle as what experienced drivers say about some sportscars and race cars giving you a physical sensation or force feedback through the steering or brakes.

The car "talks to you" through the steering wheel, etc. etc.

It's a shame that I can't write that sentence using Jackie Stewart's thick Scottish brogue (with the old ABC Wide World of Sports theme music playing in the background)... but you get the point :)

The thrill of victory- and the agony of the flaps!

Dalmo

It had to happen eventually. At least no one told me to checkout Ghostbusters Engineering, or something similar.

I have to say, I'm picking up on the passion that you folk have towards manual flaps, especially comparing it to "feeling" a car through its steering wheel, which is how I taught my 3 sons to drive. I'm a relative newbie, so something I'll look to develop in my flying - many thanks.

Dalmo

One of the things I noticed about electric flaps , like Ron Popiel they tend to be used as “set it and forget it” In aviation those words seem to be deadly.
I can understand what you mean. Electric flaps can be left on purposely, or forgotten pretty easily with not-too-pleasant consequences. Certainly harder to forget a big stick-like handle hanging just near your left ear.

Tiger Tim

“set it and forget it” In aviation those words seem to be deadly.
They just mean you have to ratchet your discipline up a notch or two. Plenty of planes have electric (or other non-manual) flaps and we’re only picking out negative anecdotes because that’s the current discussion subject.

By all means, see how the manual flaps work in your plane that was designed for them, but also recognize all it takes to install and operate electric flaps sometime down the road is the right level of responsibility.

Dalmo

Sounds fair enough. I'm just looking forward to the build, and once its flying, operating it as safely and enjoyably as possible.