whitest paint ever,now for airplaines

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dog

link to newatlas,article has link to orriginal

Daleandee

Does it come in rattle cans?🧐

Seriously ... this sounds quite intriguing!

bmcj

Supporting Member
I read about that paint a couple of months ago, but the new lighter paint is good news, especially for composites.

Now, how well does this work on house roofs? You reflect the heat, but the sloped roofs on either side of you are reflecting their heat toward your house. I can foresee legal battles over which way your neighbor is allowed to slope their roof. 😂

TFF

Corvette Arctic White is an obnoxiously bright white. I have painted a car and a helicopter with it, and it’s white. What percentage of perfect, I don’t know, but on the helicopter it went over some other what I would consider very white paint, and it was night and day.

Dan Thomas

That's all we need in the frozen north here. A whiter airplane, lost in the snow, with a dead ELT. The whites we have are already too white, and I really wish I knew why so many people want a white airplane when they live where snow is common in the winter. Yeah, white's cooler in the summer, but that's about it.

Yellow. Lime green. Bright blue. Hot pink. Lots of colors to aid rescue if you're down. In Canada, it's real easy to be lost. Our population density is really low and there is an awful lot of remote area. Lots of areas with no cell service.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
That's all we need in the frozen north here. A whiter airplane, lost in the snow, with a dead ELT. The whites we have are already too white, and I really wish I knew why so many people want a white airplane when they live where snow is common in the winter. Yeah, white's cooler in the summer, but that's about it.

Yellow. Lime green. Bright blue. Hot pink. Lots of colors to aid rescue if you're down. In Canada, it's real easy to be lost. Our population density is really low and there is an awful lot of remote area. Lots of areas with no cell service.
Absolutely agree. I remember how mad my Dad was when they stopped painting Grumman Yankees colors with white trim, and went to white with color trim. For what it's worth, why can't people paint their fuselage mostly white, to cut down the heat, and paint the wings and tail feathers a bright color to help with SAR efforts. Especially if you did the sunray stripe jobs you used to see on some acro planes. I plan to do my Ultra Cruiser and H5 up like the Timber Tiger, with polished fuselage and yellow wings/tail.

Last edited:

TFF

Canada and Alaska, sure it’s the wrong color. Mojave Desert, the right color. You would have to watch lime and orange and others near Los Angles. Crash in town and they would think it was just a pack of crotch rockets piled up.

dog

That's all we need in the frozen north here. A whiter airplane, lost in the snow, with a dead ELT. The whites we have are already too white, and I really wish I knew why so many people want a white airplane when they live where snow is common in the winter.
given how sophisticated SAR tech is getting ,its
not going to be hard to program a camera to
highlight something anomalous ,such as an object that is whiter than anything found in
nature,this paint is whiter than any snow and
almost twice as reflective as older snow

I think it would be excellent for any plane that lives outside

Tiger Tim

If you’re that worried just follow the highway (for our non-Canadian friends I’m serious, it’s the highway in some parts of the country) and land on or beside it if things go sideways. The trees will swallow up a little airplane if you end up there and it will be decades before what’s left is found, if ever. I think it was out your way a number of years ago they were searching the woods for a missing airplane and came upon a much, much older missing plane - with the same registration!

trimtab

I read about that paint a couple of months ago, but the new lighter paint is good news, especially for composites.

Now, how well does this work on house roofs? You reflect the heat, but the sloped roofs on either side of you are reflecting their heat toward your house. I can foresee legal battles over which way your neighbor is allowed to slope their roof. 😂
The radiance is substantially lambertian for these paints. Angle isn't very important with these paints through a wide angle range. A view of a clear sky is important.

You can make them yourself as well...adding one or two cheap components to a base.

In my case, a TiO based white paint in full sun at 5000' in still air at 80F yielded a surface temp of 81f. The adjacent surface coated with a base and BaSO4 and simple CaCO3 yielded 77F. Not as good as any of the lab results published, but pretty good for a fun experiment requiring a half hour and about $8 of materials. Enough to demonstrate the effects of radiative heat transfer to a doubting acquaintance.

Dan Thomas

I think it was out your way a number of years ago they were searching the woods for a missing airplane and came upon a much, much older missing plane - with the same registration!
Shuswap plane missing since 1987 discovered near Clearwater – Salmon Arm Observer

They were searching for a missing RV-6 that had left Edmonton, headed for Chilliwack, and came across the missing Super Cub. I never read anywhere that the two airplanes had the same registration. The RV-6 is still missing.

Bill-Higdon

Dan Thomas

Hopefully Canada's new satellite ADS-B will help with situations like this
It will have to be SB ADS-B. Space-based, which they're using for high-altitude aircraft now. ADS-B relies on ground receivers to track traffic, and so much of Canada is so empty that it would cost many billions to install them, generators and all. The only solution is satellites that receive the coordinates and aircraft identifiers. ELTs already rely on satellites, but the ELT failure rate is as high as 50%, due to many factors. Real-time tracking, SB ADS-B, is the obvious solution.