Quantcast

WHIRLWIND PROP

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
I'm in the process of selecting a prop and the Carbon fiber WhirlWind has caught my attention . Ground adjustable and easy on the wallet . Can be purchased with matching spinner . Going on a Continental O 200 / Smith MiniPlane . Open for comments . THANX DENNIS

Victor Bravo

WW makes very very high quality propellers, backed up by far more science and engineering than you'd ever imagine. You will never be sorry that you bought one of their propellers. I would put my wife, my dog, and my own butt in an airplane and fly behind their propeller with confidence.

(Full Disclosure) - The owner of WWPC is a personal friend of mine and I occasionally do some paid writing work for his company.

Last edited:

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
See the posts from TxFlyguy. Here's one thread, there are more:Whirlwind Propeller Company, El Cajon, CA

I this a prop you'll need within the next 5 years?
I would say yes but projects will be projects . As far as I am concerned , the engine and prop are very critical when modifying an existing aircraft ( which I am doing ) it's pretty necessary to have all the major components for calculations . Even though decisions can change mid shift there has to be a stopping point . I reviewed recomendations above and don't think the Whirlwind can get a higher ranking . Looks great , now has anyone on this forum ran one on the Cont O200 . And care to share their experience ?

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
WW makes very very high quality propellers, backed up by far more science and engineering than you'd ever imagine. You will never be sorry that you bought one of their propellers. I would put my wife, my dog, and my own butt in an airplane and fly behind their propeller with confidence.

(Full Disclosure:) The owner of WWPC is a personal friend of mine and I occasionally do some paid writing work for his company.
THANX VB Sounds like FIVE STARS

TXFlyGuy

I absolutely love my new Whirlwind 90" propeller. But full disclosure...I waited for three long years to receive it. Yes, it is a new airfoil and that is one reason for the lengthy delay.

But this was sold to me by Whirlwind Aviation, in Austinburg, OH. They produce constant speed props, and are the sister company of Whirlwind Propeller.
05EE3F3E-AD58-4A17-B7B5-F605030F155B.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Just don't buy an MT...
Why not? They are a great company, with props on experimental aircraft as well as certified planes, including P-51 Mustangs. Actually, they made a 4 blade prop for an A-36, think it was Polar Bear.
Made in Germany, about a six month delivery window.

dtnelson

Why not buy MT? For starters, service in the US, at least for my prop, has gone from not-so-great to bad to flat out STAY AWAY. Any kind of repair I've needed (and I do mean pretty much ANY) requires sending the prop to the only US repair station capable of anything beyond "dust 'n trust" to Florida, where you'll pretty much always be told that your prop will require an overhaul. My most recent example of this was when I had about an inch of my nickle leading edge fail near the tip on one of my three blades. It was going to cost me (another) $5,000 - $6,000 and take months. Even getting them to call me back after I'd sent pictures was pretty much impossible.

Props take a beating on pusher aircraft... I get that... but some props hold up better than others. My MT prop was a constant series of problems. I gave up.

I've attached a report that I created for the Velocity and pusher crowd comparing my MT numbers against my new (fixed pitch) Hertlzer Silver Bullet prop, for your consideration. It contains a short list of the problems I had with my MT.

I'll close with this... anyone interested in buying a used MT???

Dave

Attachments

TFF

I know someone who had a MT on a Diamond DA40 in a flight school. All the local prop shop could do was box it up for them. I think he told me a Hartzell would have been free if he had put the repair and down time money into one.

WWhunter

Back to the WhirlWind.....I purchased a 3-blade 70" WW for my RANS S-7. After doing a lot of research, the general thinking it was the best available at the time. Nearly as soon as I had it installed and took it flying, the blades started getting cracks. I sent pictures to WW and they said, and I quote "Don't worry about it, it's just cosmetic." I'm thinking to myself, I just spent $2,000 on this prop/spinner combo and it has cracks in the finish within an hour or two of flight time! And then the manufacturer says don't worry about it!! I was a little flabbergasted to say the least. I removed it since I didn't feel safe flying behind it.

Unfortunately due to being stationed (military) a long ways from where the plane is kept, I stuck the prop on the shelf and (dumbass me) proceeded to order a new WW 3-blade 75" STOL prop. Installed it and to be honest, no issues. I contacted WW about repairs/warrantee on the old 70" and was told it would be several hundred dollars to repair. Needless to say, I felt that the blades should have been replaced free of charge since I probably had less than 2-3 hours of flight time on them. So, back on the shelf it went while I had to leave for other parts of the country.

When we retired and I finally got back to MN where my plane is kept, I contacted WW and sent the blades in for repair. Apparantly they weren't reapairable but they would sell me a new set at a discount. Their discount was almost the same as the cost of a new set of blades. I ended up deciding if I was going to pay nearly new price I may as well upgrade to another set of 75" blades since that is what I am using. Nearly $900 later, I have a spare prop laying on my shelf that cost me $2500 +/-. Basiaclly $1,000 more than it's value.

I won't be doing anymore business with WW unless I have to. They may be a great prop, but one bad experience for me is enough to not do business again unless it is the only option. That's my take on things.