• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Which ultralight for low and slow?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

Hi all,

I am currently flying a big twin powered legal eagle that I bought from doug hart back in may. When I bought this plane I wanted to make long XC flights and attend flyins. My problem is that while I still want to do the above I have become hoocked on the low and slow aspect of ultralight flying that makes it so much fun. My legal eagle gets great fuel efficiency in cruise at 40-45mph but it lacks slow speed manuverabillity (25-35mph) making it difficult to manuver at low altitudes and slow speeds.As a result I have begun looking at some of the older ultralight designs.

Some things that appeal to me about designs from the late 70's and early 80's are the excellent visabillity (most are pushers) the good fuel economy due to the small engines, and the slow flying speeds (most have a cruise speed of around 30). I just havent seen any modern designs that perform like the old ones:depressed

Some of the designs that have caught my interest are the easy riser (with landing gear and elevator mod) and the american aerolites eagle. Do either of these designs have any major flaws? Does anyone know of any other designs (old or new) that meet the criteria I listed above?

CPD

Back