Which plane?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

HeliDev

Well I guess part of life is changing circumstances.
With my partner getting a job interstate, and me probably going to a different state Ive been thinking about getting a fixed wing. While I would love to do it in a helo, there isnt a cheap enough certified, nor a experimental which I trust.
So this leaves me either on a commercial flight, or flying myself.
What Im after is something quick and realitively cheap. Pref pusher, but will look at any suggestions.
Can be one or two seater, but I dont need anything bigger than that. I wont have much baggage to take, and dont have any kids to move around.
I have looked at the Berkut, however its a litlemore than Im looking to spend, and its only set up to take a lyc, and Id prefer to put a rotary in it.
I like the BD-5 from micro technologies, but havet got a price on that yet. Any one got a ball park on it?
Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

orion

R.I.P.
Personally, I probably would not put the Berkut into the "relatively cheap" category. Besides, the company is out of business and any support for existing airplanes, finished or unfinished, would be questionable at best.

There's also quite a gap betwen the Berkut and the BD5 so I guess my suggestion to you would be to really evaluate the things you are particularly after. Besides, to go cross country for any distance in a BD5 the procedure is:

Step 1 - Place airplane on a trailer.

Step 2 - Drive to destination

Also, make sure to make a realistic evaluation between the certified engines and the converted auto options. The rotary is a great engine but keep in mind that all the modifications necessary, as well as all the hoops you have to go through to install such an engine, you might actually spend as much as buying the Lyc.

If you fit in a wide variety of airplanes, your choices are pretty good. Look at the two place Lancairs (235, 320, etc.), the Glasair I and II and IIs, the RVs, etc. The prices vary widely and one just might fit into your needs.

StRaNgEdAyS

One thing to consider is, if you wanted to build and were looking at a Berkut, that since as Orion has rightfully pointed out the kits (The berkut was a kit build not plans) are no longer being produced, you may be better off tracking down a set of LongEZ plans and taking it from there. There are people who can supply engineering drawings to fabricate mounts for rotaries into Rutan based canards, so that option is fairly easily navagable.
Still, It's going to be a fairly reasonable build time.
I'm not sure if there are any completed Longs for sale here in OZ, but have a look through the mags and the Aviation Trader and see what pops out.

HeliDev

Thanx guys.
Yeh the Berkut isnt cheap, it was more the type I was looking at. A kit interests me because its a quicker build.
I thought the y werent making the Berkut anymore either, however on their site they are advertising the kits again, which last time I was there they werent.
Thanx for the clarification on the BD-5, it was only a thought, they do look pretty cool though :D
Ill look into the long EZ, see what comes up.
Im more just nutting out options at the moment, there would be alot to sort out before I could build, and at the same time, it would be to give me more time with my partner, not less.
It may work out better to just get my PPL and hire for the weekends when I want to go, or easier yet fly commercially.
I must say though, the thought of not being able to autorotate gives me the willies :suprised:
One more thing, in the sort of area Im talking about, what would be the an approx hourly running cost?

SD, Ill have a look at used ones, but Im not to sure on that. I have to trust some one elses build quality, and have to find some one who is qualified to examine composites.