• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Which plane?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CdnMedic

Since the age of 14 I've wanted to build a plane of my own... Specifically an RV. I'll be 27 when starting my build, single with no kids and stable.
What I'm looking for in a plane is this:
Fast cruise speed (minimum 150 mph)
2 seater
limited fun aerobatic capability
Cost!

The sonex looks like a fit but is too slow, and the zodiac makes me nervous with the flutter issue.
I'm comfortable building with aluminum, but will give the foam sandwich method a shot as well.
So, I'm thinking of:
RV4 (this is my dream, the one I REALLY want but is the highest in my price range)
The Vision 2 place
KR2

The reason cruise speed is important, is it will make my 600km drive home alot shorter and the plane will be used alot in cross country roles, but it needs to be fun as well. Only looking at low wing tail dragger styles, as that is what appeals to me.
Panel wise, I'll only fly VFR so the basics will do there.
Also, the vision and KR2 can fly with a corvair and that is a little project I would like to work on, especially since then I can use auto fuel.
I once was a mechanic before being a medic, so my hands have the skill for the work.

What planes do you guys suggest, any that you may think up that I haven't?

Back