Quantcast

Which mission to satisfy first?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

How much space do you need and how fast do you really need to go. A Bearhawk will be as fast as a 182. It would be a good all around airplane, but I hate to say it but an RV is popular because it’s that good. No other reason. Remember that most of the super short takeoffs and landings you see on YouTube are with all the junk in the trunk thrown out.

From scratch how fast do you think you can build? They tend to take a long time. If you have an abundance of free time, you could probably knock a RV fast build out in a year if you did nothing else. I know someone who did it in 8 months. Most take five years. Nothing prettier than a Falco but it’s a long haul project even when kits were available. This is a good resource to see how it is to scratch a Bearhawk Eric Newton's Bearhawk Site

Blueberry

Many a " damaged beyond economical repair" that need some fixing and a recover for auction by insurance companies.
This is an avenue I have not explored. I guess I assumed that a wrecked HBA would just be trashed, fairly foolish now that I think about it. Where would I look for these? The regular places - Barnstormers, T-A-P, Controller?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There is a big difference between "lust/passion" and "mission requirements"... My Rocket and RV are "appliances" (really, really good appliances), but ownership of them does not turn off or otherwise prevent lusting after a Stinson Gullwing, for example.

There is no law (yet) that locks us into one airplane for life.

Blueberry

How much space do you need and how fast do you really need to go. A Bearhawk will be as fast as a 182. It would be a good all around airplane, but I hate to say it but an RV is popular because it’s that good. No other reason. Remember that most of the super short takeoffs and landings you see on YouTube are with all the junk in the trunk thrown out.

From scratch how fast do you think you can build? They tend to take a long time. If you have an abundance of free time, you could probably knock a RV fast build out in a year if you did nothing else. I know someone who did it in 8 months. Most take five years. Nothing prettier than a Falco but it’s a long haul project even when kits were available. This is a good resource to see how it is to scratch a Bearhawk Eric Newton's Bearhawk Site
TFF Thanks! Space not so much a concern. As I said, it would be just me about 90% of the time. Speed, I want to be in the 160-180 range for the CC mission. I do like the Bearhawk and had the 4-place at the top of my list as a back country / family cruiser.

As far as the build time I was thinking 3 to 5 for the smaller metal planes and 5 - 7 for the wooden birds. All depending on how many subkits / machined parts i pull into the build.

Blueberry

TTF - just realized that the link you provided went directly to both the plans and the construction manual. Never imagined I would find them for free!! This is awesome!! Thanks again.

These are going to the printer tomorrow for enlargement to blueprint size. Definitely going to build this plane.... at least someday. May not be able to fly it by that time, but I'll enjoy the hell out of the process.

Dan Thomas

Well first if the 50th birthday is already a few years gone, you are unlikely to finish anything other than a quick build airplane much before you retire, so using your bird for business for long is probably unlikely.

If you want to fly, buy. If you LOVE to build, build, but do not expect to fly it for a long time.
Yup.

dfunnemark

TTF - just realized that the link you provided went directly to both the plans and the construction manual. Never imagined I would find them for free!! This is awesome!! Thanks again.

These are going to the printer tomorrow for enlargement to blueprint size. Definitely going to build this plane.... at least someday. May not be able to fly it by that time, but I'll enjoy the hell out of the process.
This is an avenue I have not explored. I guess I assumed that a wrecked HBA would just be trashed, fairly foolish now that I think about it. Where would I look for these? The regular places - Barnstormers, T-A-P, Controller?
Sigh... I knew this was going to happen, but, of course, you are all correct. So the consensus that I see building is go buy me a decent cross country HBA along the lines of an RV X and start building the bush hopper. Which makes perfect sense given my age, and available time (although I do plan to live another 40). I still want to build a classic. I do have 4 kids of which 2 are interested in taking up flying, so I have plenty of "free" labor and someone to inherit the bounty.
A plane not mentioned so far is the RAI-1 Tango from Revolution Aviation, Inc. It is designed as a fast built composite kit. You can plan on a 180 knot cruise on 180 hp and a range of about 1,800 nm. This has been demonstrated. We currently have a builder in our build center in Williston, FL, who is planning on a four month build. Will will add a thirty gallon aux tank which should give him a range of about 2,600 nm range so he can fly from California to Maui.
We also have an older, completed airframe for sale that the builder never completed due to a medical problem. It holds 39 gallons, range of about 700 nm.
Should you choose, you could land a Tango on a sandbar somewhere, once.
We also have a partially completed GP-4 kit for sale. Get in touch for details.

Denny
revolutionaviation.net

Blueberry

A plane not mentioned so far is the RAI-1 Tango from Revolution Aviation, Inc. It is designed as a fast built composite kit. You can plan on a 180 knot cruise on 180 hp and a range of about 1,800 nm. This has been demonstrated. We currently have a builder in our build center in Williston, FL, who is planning on a four month build. Will will add a thirty gallon aux tank which should give him a range of about 2,600 nm range so he can fly from California to Maui.
We also have an older, completed airframe for sale that the builder never completed due to a medical problem. It holds 39 gallons, range of about 700 nm.
Should you choose, you could land a Tango on a sandbar somewhere, once.
We also have a partially completed GP-4 kit for sale. Get in touch for details.

Denny
revolutionaviation.net
That's a beautiful plane Denny! I am completely heads down on with a new client the rest of this week but I will try to give you a shout on Friday.
Thanks!

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I have seen auction advertised on Barnstormers, other than that, I do not know... They sell bent birds, so the sales notices gotta be fairly prominent.

Apsco17

HBA Supporter
I'm in the middle of building a BD-4C and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the kit.

Todd

Apsco17

HBA Supporter
Hello Jerry,

I took advantage of Bede's builder assist option and had them construct the frame, gear and bond the wing ribs to the spars and fit the skins. The standard kit comes with the vertical stab completed and the horizontal stab about 70% completed, it's skinned but you have to finish it off. I'm taking it from there.

I've completed the rudder, the horizontal stab trailing edges and stabilator, bonded the wings and finished the wing fuel lines and have about 70% of the flight control brackets and fittings completed.

I haven't worked with aluminum nor built or worked on aircraft before so I've had a bit of a learning curve. Overall, I'm happy with my progress on the kit and the improvement of my build skills. The plans are CAD drawn and have lots of scale part drawings that I've taken to successfully using as templates to mark up the stock metal for things like the control brackets. Tim Becker, Bede's engineer, has a wealth of knowledge and advice to share that is very welcome as he is the main guy who also does the builder assist work, so he knows how to build a BD-4C, not just design it. I'm completely satisfied with the support Bede gives me and hopefully as my skills improve I will be able to stop bothering him as much as I have been.

I did a demo flight last fall in the company plane and was very happy with the performance, 165 KTAS at 5500'/80 deg F, two of us and half fuel. They have an IO-360 with a CS prop, so 165 KTAS is a realistic and routine cruise speed under normal conditions. Blows away a 172, that's for sure. After the demo flight, I ordered a set of the kit plans to look over and see what I would be getting into if I bought a kit. I strongly encourage you to do that for any kit you are looking to buy. It lets you see how complete the plans are and the types of fabrication you will need to do and if you go ahead and get the kit, you'll want a second set of plans as a spare anyway. If you look the plans over and decide to pass, it's a lot cheaper than buying the kit and then trying to sell it after starting and realizing it's not for you.

Hope this helps and happy to answer any other questions you have, sorry I missed your earlier post.

Todd