• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Which engine to use???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homi

hi , i am working on an project on ultralight single seater aircraft , i am totally new to this field the design goals include total weight to be 570 lbs (350 empty wt+220payload) i want to optimize it for loitering not range and max altitude would be less than 5000 ft , the problem is i cannot get special aircraft engine so i have to convert automobile engine.
Option available in market are given below , can anyone suggest how much power i would be needing and which of following to convert depending upon performance and ease of conversion.
NOTE: All are liquid cooled except VW air cooled engines

[FONT=&quot]Car[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine name[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rpm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Torque (Nm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Weight (lb)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Suzuki Cultus[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]G-10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5100-5500[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]50[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]65[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]139[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Diahatsu Cuore[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ED-10[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5500[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]60[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]83[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Suzuki Alto[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SS80[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5500[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]62[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]87[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Honda City[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.3 L (~79 cu in) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I4[/FONT][FONT=&quot] i-VTEC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5500-6000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]100[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]128[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Toyota Corolla[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2NZ-FE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]80[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]119[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VW Van[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1800cc[/FONT]