wheres BWB? Ampmeter? Cooper? Old timer Homebuilt usergroup

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Caltard13, Feb 2, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 2, 2019 #1

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Hello,
    I was big into Homebuilts in the early 90s. bult and flw a kitfox, Hung out on the Homebuilt user group - before such a thing as forums existed. hung out with Badwater Bill, Tommy Cooper, John Ampmeter, Reverand Pinkass, John Stricker, Bob Urban, - How I never got arrested I'll never know. Lead the Bass Wars, - the takedown of Ralphie, the Dennis kneecapping - i'm proud of that work!

I wonder what happened to those user group guys, I suspect maybe one or 2 hang here now?

decsided since I'm still alive and getting older, might be time to remedy that by headed for helicopters, thinking those Mosquitos might be the bees knees

BoKu likes this.
  2. Feb 2, 2019 #2

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

3. Feb 2, 2019 #3

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

RAH became an unbearable cesspit of trollery with an essentially negative signal to noise ratio.

Topaz, Kyle Boatright and BJC like this.
  4. Feb 2, 2019 #4

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

5. Feb 2, 2019 #5

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Yeah, but it was fun blowing up Ralphie and Bass and Dennis. You posted something there, you were subject to verification, and once you got shown to be a bit of a liear / blowhard, your azz was handed to you by guys willing and able to do whatever research cwas required to display to the world that the poster was a liar! Guys got held accounatble - I liked that!

6. Feb 2, 2019 #6

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Bill Phillips, Richard Riley, and Tony Pucillo have passed. A couple others have had cancer and strokes, but still are hanging in. Some, like Nauga Hyde, are hanging around in other forums. A few, like me, are avoidable on multiple forums.

Ron Wanttaja

BoKu likes this.
  7. Feb 2, 2019 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I was there for some of it... 2/3 the Zoom wars, one of the Las Vegas RAH fly-Ins, etc. I knew Richard Riley from the whole Berkut deal here in Santa Monica, even before RAH.

Chuck Slusarczyk has also passed away but I was fortunate enough to get to know him just a little. He came into LA to do that show called Junkyard Wars, we ate at a delicatessen here near where I live. I did a very small amount of writing for him just before he sold CGS, and I think I sold an airplane kit for him by making follow-up phone calls to interested inquiries. What a great guy Chuck was, and what a tremendous contributor to the ultralight and LSA movement.

I think I met John Ousterhout (they called him Oyster-house) at the one RAH Fly-In in Vegas, but I never got to meet the guys at the other ones in Ohio someplace IIRC, where the guy had that beautiful Stinson Gullwing.

I always wanted to have one of the "govern yourself accordingly" shirts they kept talking about printing. Nowdays only a handful of us in the experimental airplane community would crack a smile if they saw one. Ron W would, Topaz would, maybe a handful of others. I like to think Captain **** would smile if he saw one, but that's probably a silly idea :)

Topaz, Kyle Boatright and BoKu like this.
  8. Feb 2, 2019 #8

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Actually, I don't think Chuck has passed. I see an occasional Facebook post from him. He did have a stroke, about ten-15 years ago, which led to his selling CGS.

EAA got Chuck on a "Timeless Voices" video:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/vide...0876499001/timeless-voices---chuck-slusarczyk

The Stinson's owner, John Johnson, was the sponsor of the Pinkneyville RAH Fly-In. He sadly died in an accident a while back. Oysterhouse and I get together occasionally; he was a docent at the Spruce Goose museum for several years. I was a speaker at an Oregon Pilot's Association banquet ~15 years ago, and Happy Miles was there, too. He was flying a restored DeHavilland Heron around the Northwest with a...mmmm.... controversial paint job. ShellEy sends me an occasional email to say "hi." Kyle Boatright is another of the old crowd that're on several forums. I've heard from several folks who mention the old days but are using new handles so I don't know who they are....

Ron Wanttaja

9. Feb 2, 2019 #9

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Were these guys all together in a region of the country or a part of the internet or both?

10. Feb 2, 2019 #10

BJC

BJC

BJC

Ron:

I’m confident that you don’t remember, but I met you and several others at a gathering of RAH in someone’s hangar (for BBQ, burgers, brats, or ???) during an Arlington NW EAA fly-in. I don’t recall the year, but it was back when the Arlington fly-in was a big event.

BJC

11. Feb 2, 2019 #11

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

"RAH" refers to the USENET newsgroup, rec.aviation.homebuilt. As was mentioned, it was a precursor to the modern internet forums. It had no "host site" that users had to access to read or post messages. Instead, messages were passed from server to server on a highly redundant basis. The news-reading software on the server would keep track if a given message had already been received and whether a given user had seen the message.

Users accessed the system through "dumb terminals", basically just screens and keyboards that allowed use of the software installed on the server. There were programs that allowed a standard PC to emulate these terminals. In fact, my access to Usenet was via a Commodore 64 computer through the mid-90s. The system included email as well as the public forum messages.

Message propagation didn't stop at borders, so USENET was an international community. John Ten Haves was from New Zealand and came to at least one of the Pinkneyville fly-ins. He eventually bought a Nieuport replica with a Rotec Radial.

USENET's strength...and weakness...was its distributed architecture. It was free speech personified; a modern Internet forum is hosted on one site, with one administrative agency. A threat or a lawsuit couldn't shut it down; a single person's account might get suspended, but the messages were distributed to literally thousands of servers. In the case most of the old RAH participants remember, one particular person finally resorted to a conspiracy lawsuit (with 15 separate RAH participants, including myself) to try to silence criticism.

This was what's called a SLAPP suit... Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation. It's generally used against private activists or news media; the irony in this case was that we were sued BY a media outlet, trying to silence criticism. The lawsuit had the opposite effect, of course...

The weakness part, of course, was that there WAS no control of content, other than that provided by the participants. Until ~1994, USENET participation was mostly via colleges or businesses, which meant there were few anonymous participants. But soon gateways were established to places like AOL, which allowed people to hide behind "handles." So content and civility went down the tubes, and there were few ways to stop spam.

Places like this forum have moderators and established rules, and discussions that stray beyond the lines can be shut down an offenders suspended or ejected. If certain subjects are not to be included, then owner's/moderators' will can be enforced.

USENET still exists, including RAH. But the most-common things you see on it now are spam or people who found a discussion topic on a Google search and attempt to reply to twenty-year-old postings.

Ron Wanttaja

Mad MAC, Topaz and Jerry Lytle like this.
  12. Feb 2, 2019 #12

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Yes, I remember that event...the hangar was on the opposite side of the runway, so we saw the show from another perspective.

And I remember you, too... tall, thin, steely-eyed, commanding presence, whom everybody deferred to. No, wait, that was the guy driving the catering truck.... :)

Ron Wanttaja

BJC likes this.
  13. Feb 2, 2019 #13

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Hey Caltard, welcome to HBA. Are you in Auberry California? If so, you’re just up the road from me; I’m in Fresno at Sierra Sky Park.

I don’t think I know any of the folks you mentioned. Most of my flying was done down in Southern California (based out of Flabob Airport in Riverside). I don’t know them through that RAH either since I never got involved with RAH.

14. Feb 2, 2019 #14

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Was the Stinson based at Carbondale in the 70's?

i thought RAH was quite entertaining. I remember expressing my opinion one time about folks (non-aviation types) drinking and being around aircraft and I believe it was Mr. Johnson that pretty well handed me my rear in the subsequent conversation.

I got a real kick out of BWB's webpage and damned near cried from laughing really hard about the story "shape shifter"...John Ampmeter?????? It's been too many years ago.....

Terry

15. Feb 2, 2019 #15

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Yeah, that P'ville flyin was quite the deal. I remember someone taping a picture of captain Zoom up in the portapotty just above the urinal. Given the amount of liquid refreshment ingested, old zoomer got quite a shower for a couple of days.

I can't rightly remember who it was - Maybe Bob Urban, who ended up passed out on a cot in the middle of the hanger. We held a funeral and everything - I believe the reverend Pink Ass may have attended that year and he presided over the services? but maybe not - that was a long time ago.

Also remember someone ground looped it on arrival on day 2, don't remember who.

and Dr Sherry lee giving us all a big vertical smile as she and rick were taxiing out! They eventually got that berkut in the air and are still flying it i believe!
    She hand sewed me a great hawaiian shirt, i still wear it on special occasions!

yeah thats me in Auberry. At the time of RAH, I was attending grad school at BYU, ended up here in fresno -wonder if Oring seals is still around - i always worried about him. Talked to him several years ago, He wanted to know my secret deer hunting spot in the desert mountains just outside primm

16. Feb 2, 2019 #16

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Old crowd? Sheesh. I've been the youngest guy around for the last 20 years...

17. Feb 2, 2019 #17

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

You have a nearly British mastery of understatement, Bob.

Lord, that place turned into a mess.

18. Feb 2, 2019 #18

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Yes, that was the Urban Legend. Chuck S had brought a jug of Muzzleloader along (his infamous homebrew...apple brandy), and Bob didn't think it was ALL that strong. He ended up semi-conscious on a cot for most of Saturday. We did hold a funeral.
    [​IMG]

(Cooper was an EMT, and checked him over periodically. After Urban hath arisen, he even delivered oxygen.

[​IMG]

Here's the Reverend:
    [​IMG]

Stearman, wasn't part of our happy crew.

[​IMG]

Oysterhouse still has a web page of collected pictures from the various Pinkneyville Fly-Ins, the above are from the 1999 collection:

http://www.ousterhout.net/pjy-flyin.html

Ron Wanttaja

BoKu likes this.
  19. Feb 3, 2019 #19

Caltard13

Caltard13

Caltard13

Yup thats meen on the left in the Hawaiian shirt, tommy cooper on the right, we ran / jogged/ walked out to make sure everyone was OK.

20. Feb 3, 2019 #20

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Wasn't Bobby Seals one of the old guys that used to hang around all day at Selma airport? Heard about him, but never met him other than on RAH. I landed there for gas one day years later and thought I might be able to find him, but it was a ghost town.

As interesting as RAH was, HBA is a hundred times better, with none of the problems and "trollery" as Bob put it. Thanks to HBA's moderators and being on a private server, we have a paradise here by comparison.

I would like to think that if most of the beloved and departed RAH crowd were around today, they would be partcipating here on HBA, with perhaps a bit better manners than many of us had on RAH :)

BJC likes this.