where to start learning about Gyros?

Discussion in 'Rotorcraft' started by wanttobuild, Aug 11, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 11, 2019 #1

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

After looking at the VW powered, Awesome JT-5B, I find myself wanting to know more. Is there a defacto reference about the principle of operation? My first flight was in a Gyrocopter @ Farrington aviation, Paducah, Ky. So young I don't remember much about it.
    Any book recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

2. Aug 12, 2019 #2

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

3. Aug 13, 2019 #3

don january

don january

don january

Growing up my father a crop duster of 33 years said a few times he thought Gyro's was the safest type of flight ? I'm not sure if he meant landing speed or what but I can say first hand he tried to build one and never left the ground. I know he struggled with rotor balance and CG issues. We about got her airborn one day towing it with the car :eek: Thank goodness the stick broke off in my hand before we accomplished mission. :)

4. Aug 13, 2019 #4

Pops

Pops

Pops

Helped an old friend of mine build a Benson in the mid 1960's . A man moved in the neighborhood from SC that had a Benson and we went with him to watch him fly it. After watching him fly, I told Bob "I'm not flying one of those" and he said the same thing and we went home and took it apart and scrapped it.

5. Aug 13, 2019 #5

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

Gyros can be, in theory, one of the safest forms of powered flight, because they can be fully controllable in a zero-airspeed vertical descent with no risk of aerodynamic stall. Bensen's undoing was his insistence that a horizontal stabilizer wasn't necessary, and his promotion of learning to fly on your own with a syllabus in a three-ring binder. His engineering was OK, but his faith in the diligence and patience of customers was sometimes misplaced.

Many newer two-place gyros lack adequate tail volume, IMHO, prioritizing reduced drag/increased speed over stability. A single-place gyro will naturally have lighter control forces and quicker pitch response than a tandem two-place, but with enough tail on a long enough boom, they can be as docile as the designer wants to make them.

A big part of the poor safety record of gyros is their tendency to attract outlaws who hold dim views of safety culture and who consider risk-taking "bad-ass." I'm not sure how you solve that.

6. Aug 13, 2019 #6

BJC

BJC

BJC

That is understandable; his mechanical engineering degree was earned; his doctorate of divinity degree was honorary.

BJC

wwalton likes this.
  7. Aug 13, 2019 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think they bite the had that feeds them more than other types. It does because it lulls you into a feeling of safety. Rotor speed, rotor speed, rotor speed. Remember rotor speed. The safe is it’s always trying float down to a landing. To climb you are overcoming the down float with horsepower. It’s still falling, you are just flying faster than it can fall. The fancy two seat ones with an instructor, I would take a ride in. I would not be trying to hop some ultralight homemade thing trying to learn to fly one. A friend had an RAF. He had at least one takeoff where he ended up on the street outside the airport because of low rotor rpm. He has a commercial license in one. The guys he sold it to wrecked it. There is a helicopter school in Missouri and in Arkansas that teach flying. I would not be flippant about any flight in one.

8. Aug 13, 2019 #8

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I would start here and at least learn enough to ask intelligent questions when you get to a location where they train.
    https://www.ronsgyros.com/Gyro_Handbook.pdf

wanttobuild and TFF like this.
  9. Aug 15, 2019 #9

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

Agreed - A great place to start.

10. Aug 20, 2019 at 11:20 PM #10

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

I am officially "going over" to Gyrocopters. I suspect, as builders learn about these fascinating aircraft, there will be more like me.
    Part count alone is a compelling reason.
    The ability to fly after the sun has been up(no more getting up at 4am).

11. Aug 21, 2019 at 7:37 AM #11

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

A few years ago, the Popular Rotorcraft Association invited a major PPC manufacturer to hold its annual customer fly-in the same week as the PRA annual convention, all at PRA's airport in Mentone, IN. It worked out great. By the time the gyro guys were ready for their breakfast flight at 8:30am, the PPCs were done for the day due to winds. The gyros were back in the barn by dusk, when the PPCs were ready to fly again.

Gyros are great fun in a steady wind.