Where the good names went

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

don january

Log Member
Have this old Protractor that has the coolest name AMPRO STYLISTIC and I think would be a nice name for that next plane build your planning. ampro protractor.jpg What have you come across ?

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I like a lot of the old aircraft prototype names, like Cloudster, Lil' Dipper, Nomad... most now are just numbers: RV-12, S-19, CH750, etc. Not much romance.

Aesquire

Any WW2 history buff might notice the Brits had the best airplane names. I'll rate Japan #2, but very few spoke Japanese and the Allies gave code names utterly lacking the romance of the original.

Bonus quiz! Name 2 Rising Sun airplane names. ( not codes like Tony or Hamp )

Americans #3. Some great ones, and brand themes, the Grumman Cats & Lockheed stars & Republic Thunders. ( most were post war jets )

Germany? Butcher bird? and again, any cool names lost to language & publicity barriers. But the Germans win on tanks. U.S. tanks were generals, mostly, and the Brits? A mixed bag, Comet, Matilda. ???

The use of names for an entire series of aircraft is credited to the Brits who wanted to conceal improved versions behind the propaganda, imho that's only partly true, as in WW1 & between romantic/inspirational names were common. Still... Hurricane, Spitfire, Meteor, Tempest.... Otoh, the bombers were not such cool names. Except the most Meta... Mosquito.