• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Where, not how, is VNE calculated. Does VNE go up with altitude?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faralon

Example 1: Zenith Cruzer | VNE: 145mph.

Example 2: Viking Aircraft's Zenith "Super Cruzer": I just watched a video of it doing 180+ mph, you can see it on their YouTube page, filmed in November 2016.

Yes I know the Viking Cruzer has wings that are blended more aerodynamically to the fuselage/canopy than the factory Zenith as well as most of the control arms for the flaps have been moved inside the wing creating a slicker airframe.

However, the filming is taking place at 10,500ft. Would you be able to take the VNE of the factory Cruzer higher than listed (and still fly safely) at higher altitude?

I can't imagine VNE is calculated at ground level. These are, after all, AIRplanes. So how, or where, is the number calculated, and can you fly that aircraft (SAFELY) above the VNE at higher altitudes?

Not that I intend to do this, its just a curious question.

Back