Where have all the flying cars gone???

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

HBA Supporter

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I sure could have used a flying car on the weekend. I had to run an errand that ended up being three hours of sitting in traffic each way when I figure I could have been about an hour if I went car-plane-car. Too bad everyone tries to make a flying car for the masses when a flying car for the weirdos could get away with a lot more compromise and have a better chance at success.
Yeah. I wouldn't mind a 15 minute stop to hook up the wings like Molt did. If it saves me hours or even a day waiting out weather.

Speedboat100

Banned
People inadvertently hit the gear retract switch while on the ground. I certainly wouldn’t want to be the guy who inadvertently hits the wing fold switch while in the air.

Yes maybe a 5 minutes stop is needed by the road side to see everything is secure and locked.

Tiger Tim

Yeah. I wouldn't mind a 15 minute stop to hook up the wings like Molt did. If it saves me hours or even a day waiting out weather.
I think something like that would be great for tourism and occasional errands. You know, the kind of leisure running around that doesn’t need to adhere to a schedule.

Victor Bravo

I had mentioned this before, but perhaps it is worth repeating. For a "flying car", to me it appears that smaller is not really better. A larger "minivan size" (that's caravan for you Britons) aircraft, where the wings could be stored inside the rear of the vehicle when it is being driven on the road, would be a potentially effective solution. You could have four wing panels (like many modern gliders) that provide enough span to yield a reasonably efficient flying machine, provide reasonable takeoff and climb performance, economy, etc.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Deszo Molnar, who apparently has been involved in racing, and was a judge for the X-prize, just gave an interesting presentation tonight to my EAA chapter. He wants to start an experimental racing league for homemade flying cars. He seems to have a pragmatic, guy in the garage kind of approach. More info at Flying Car Racing - Next Generation Motorsports.

Dusan

Deszo Molnar, who apparently has been involved in racing, and was a judge for the X-prize, just gave an interesting presentation tonight to my EAA chapter. He wants to start an experimental racing league for homemade flying cars. He seems to have a pragmatic, guy in the garage kind of approach. More info at Flying Car Racing - Next Generation Motorsports.
Air racing is gaining traction, a manned drone racing is featured here: Airspeeder - The Flying Car Racing Series

Also featured here:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
From the climb rate, it might be heavier then expected.
Statement said it met all expectations but will come with an engine of twice the power. :rolleyes:

Speedboat100

Banned
I think you need to focus on the agenda itself....roads that are too heavily congested...then you have to be able take off on the spot and get somewhere where the road traffic is ok.

Last edited:

nickec

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has awarded Terrafugia’s Transition “roadable aircraft” a Special Light-Sport Aircraft airworthiness certificate. Based in Massachusetts, Terrafugia called the certificate issuance a “significant milestone” for its eventual use in both the air and on the street. The two-seat flying car will need to meet safety standards from the FAA and the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)."

Above quote from:

1612999892017.png