Quantcast

Where have all the flying cars gone???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Has anyone noticed that as a myriad of multicopters are being premiered and promoted, roadable aircraft have kind of fallen off the radar, not just here on HBA, but also in the news and magazines?

BJC

HBA Supporter
Has anyone noticed that as a myriad of multicopters are being premiered and promoted, roadable aircraft have kind of fallen off the radar, not just here on HBA, but also in the news and magazines?
It’s a whole lot easier to design and build a BAD (Big @$$ Drone) than a roadable car that is at least 10% car or 10% airplane. Since the BAD will be powered with free energy from the sun, the endurance of 10 minutes is viewed as acceptable.

But that is not the reason. The reason is that developing a BAD will attract far more investment and rooters / supporters than any make-believe flying car project

Paint me cynical.

BJC

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The multicopters are being promoted as "Flying Cars". They are not roadable at all, of course. They seem to think a vertical landing will somehow be allowed in the city. It's a multi-billion hysteria with no basis.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe because folks are seeing small multicopters/drones and it captures the imagination. It seems new and just a matter of scaling things up.
There's nothing similarly new to get folks excited about flying cars. In fact, maybe we have joked about it enough ("It is 2020, where's my flying car!) that it seems trite now.

Tiger Tim

Manned multicopters seem a lot more elegant than the mess of hinged parts that ‘flying cars’ seemed to require.

Still, I was thinking about my favourite flying car proposal the other day and wondered how it was doing. I remember it being proposed and discussed for a long time by a member here (until I think he got banned) but no pictures or sketches were ever shared. IIRC it was to be a four-seat, in-line wheeled, amphibious, delta wing, push-pull, bubble canopied machine that could take off and land in the width of a single highway lane and carry full sheets of plywood or drywall. No matter how hard I try I just can’t imagine something that can do all that and it drives me nuts. By comparison these current multicopter concepts lack imagination...

Victor Bravo

The reason may be that the COVID pandemic has caused enough of an economic hiccup that people now actually have to think twice before clicking the "investor opportunity" button?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Manned multicopters seem a lot more elegant than the mess of hinged parts that ‘flying cars’ seemed to require.

Still, I was thinking about my favourite flying car proposal the other day and wondered how it was doing. I remember it being proposed and discussed for a long time by a member here (until I think he got banned) but no pictures or sketches were ever shared. IIRC it was to be a four-seat, in-line wheeled, amphibious, delta wing, push-pull, bubble canopied machine that could take off and land in the width of a single highway lane and carry full sheets of plywood or drywall. No matter how hard I try I just can’t imagine something that can do all that and it drives me nuts. By comparison these current multicopter concepts lack imagination...
Was it also pedaled by 20 people?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Other variable geometry ideas include telescoping wings, pivoting wings, Inflating wings, and even vertically folding wings (like a bird with its wings raised up during flapping).

Here’s a new one... why don’t we just have a flying wing (plank) that flies as you would expect with wings extended left and right, but drives perpendicular to the direction of flight with one wing forward and one wing back? You wouldn’t have to fold or pivot the wing, you just have to pivot the seat and landing gear. ;):rolleyes:

Dusan

Make the wing small enough that the span length is road-able. Joke aside, a series of small span wing fixed wing aircraft were built to compete for "world's smallest"
status. Stits SA-2A Sky Baby, Stits DS-1, and Starr Bumble Bee II are among this category having a wingspan well under 8ft. From what I've read they were a "killer" to fly, stall speeds respectively at 52, 61 and 75kts.

Maybe the Mignet puce-du-ciel with the wings folded is roadable?

Tiger Tim

Was it also pedaled by 20 people?
Different former member. The one I’m thinking of had endless conviction in his concept and was booted for nonstop fighting IIRC. Am I remembering that right? It was the Holden/Aircar feud of a few years ago?

saini flyer

Maybe because folks are seeing small multicopters/drones and it captures the imagination. It seems new and just a matter of scaling things up.
There's nothing similarly new to get folks excited about flying cars. In fact, maybe we have joked about it enough ("It is 2020, where's my flying car!) that it seems trite now.
yup, thats what people think when they see these
1596742403664.png
1596742441716.png
1596742633153.png

Speedboat100

Yes..the multicopters kinda fascinate the electric engineers....that have no idea of the aerodynamics.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Not a flying car but still the same realm of thinking.....
I believe the late & great Tim Wilson summed it up best with his song......
"Where the f*** is my jetpack ???!!! "

Kevin

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Yes, but that is because most of the flying cars have either crashed, run out of money, or lack future financing. The AV Drone/Taxi programs still have some artwork to display and funds to promote their programs.

Any actual or proposed flight test of a maned AV Drone/Taxi is unique big news and makes the press while an actual flying roadable aircraft is old news and a thing of the past. It is the "Been there done that" routine.