When did the EAA become money grubbing bullies?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by radfordc, Nov 30, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 30, 2019 #1

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

2. Nov 30, 2019 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

In answer to the post title, "A long time ago."

In answer to the sub-text, "What did you expect?"

3. Nov 30, 2019 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm all for EAA protecting their trademarks, but this is ridiculous.

4. Nov 30, 2019 #4

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Are they really only filing over the wording Beer-Venture? Or is there some imagery or other more directly comperable terminology being used on certain signs or boards in the tent that imply some closer relationship? I've been by that tent plenty but never gone in since it just doesn't seem like my kind of scene. But I was originally, from just a general "walking by" perspective originally figuring the tent was in some way sanctioned to be there as a vendor, then later saw that it was actually off the grounds and so just doing its own thing just as all the other food vendors along the road are.

Once you understand the areas that are and aren't official grounds, there's no real confusion. If there's actual signage or other postings that are trying to promote or create a link then I can't speak to that. Just parodying a name, I don't see a big issue since that's fairly common. They could easily just call it the "SOS Tent Event" and I don't think a single person would notice.

5. Nov 30, 2019 #5

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Look at one of their logos on their shirts... clearly a take off from the EAA official logo.

046171B7-0CD6-43DE-8A02-D5ABA823A2AD.jpeg 37013DB3-C7E5-471C-907A-CB99085D94FE.jpeg

6. Nov 30, 2019 #6

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

In the end, you either protect your IP or you don't. It's all well and good to let people use derivatives of your IP to a point, but when people start making money off of your IP, then you have a problem. I don't judge whether this particular action is appropriate or not, but it's appropriate to protect your IP when there's money involved.

7. Nov 30, 2019 #7

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Per the link from Original Poster (OP):
    "A lawsuit alleges the brothers run an event called "Beer Venture" just off the AirVenture grounds. EAA says that name, and merchandise being sold imply the beer tent is affiliated with AirVenture.
    The lawsuit accuses the brothers of hurting AirVenture's reputation and its profits."
    In reading "The Pirate's Guide to Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights" (ISBN-13: 978-0615632001, by David D. Winters, copyright(C)2011) one finds an interesting case: North Face vs. South Butt over "trademark dilution." (US Dist. Ct. for the Eastern District of Missouri, Eastern Division: The North Face Apparel Corp. v. Williams Pharmacy, Inc., et al., Case No. 09-CV-02029). So it is not all that unheard of.

8. Nov 30, 2019 #8

BJC

BJC

BJC

The EAA’s transition to becoming money grubbing bullies started in 1977 and was completed in 1989.

What they want to do to the SOS is minor compared to their land grab to expand the convention site.

BJC

9. Nov 30, 2019 #9

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Hmmm:

"The Sosnoskis have ... had actual knowledge of their trademark infringement, counterfeiting, dilution and unfair competition," the lawsuit states. "Sonsoskis' actions ... have resulted in irreparable harm to EAA's reputation and goodwill and damage to customers."

When I get to Airventure, SOS is now top of the list of spots to visit. Even if their logos get diluted.

10. Nov 30, 2019 #10

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I am a regular customer at SOS Brothers. I like the fact that I can get a beer and food at something resembling market level price, as opposed to the highway robbery on the grounds. And the similarity of trademarks, well, if that would get the EAA off of SOS Brothers backs, I would say the SOS brothers should get a less related logo. I suspect that the EAA won't, and here is why: The beer vendors have a near monopoly and they pay a pretty good rent to EAA. If the EAA and the on-site beer vendors can drive SOS Brothers away from the field, beer prices on site and rental prices can go higher.

A similar thing has been going on for decades at Sun-n-Fun. One vendor for beer on the field and nothing nearby except the Quiet Birdmen. Private club, owned by the QB including the ground it is sitting on. All of the QB members go there for lunch or a beer instead of the $10 a glass place on the field. The QB place is always packed. Sun-n-Fun management has been trying to cut them off for a decade. It seems to have been all about moving more folks to the on-site beer garden - and you know the price would be even higher if the QB's were not there. The QB's seem to have have a deal made - they have truck access even during the show now. But it wasn't always like that...

11. Nov 30, 2019 #11

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Both times I've been, the SOS tent was how we finished the day. Sitting around drinking beer and BSing in beautiful weather with airplanes flying around... it doesn't get much better. Especially when Dad's buying the beer :cool:

12. Nov 30, 2019 #12

BJC

BJC

BJC

What time?

BJC

wsimpso1 and gtae07 like this.
  13. Dec 2, 2019 #13

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Maybe the EAA are upset that this change to SOS beer venture appears to have fallen through?

dragon2knight, Mcmark and 1Bad88 like this.
  14. Dec 2, 2019 #14

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

I suspect this is really about the brothers’ sour grapes over the county’s eminent domain action.

I saw some pics posted online of scantily clad young ladies and beer-bong type events. Not that I’m against any of that per se. but, I can just imagine the tongues wagging. That IS injurious to the EAA’s good name. I don’t blame them. They really don’t have a choice. They’ve asked the brothers to desist. And it sounds like the brothers are thumbing their noses.

bmcj likes this.
  15. Dec 2, 2019 #15

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Anything that involves a beer bong, or anywhere in that entire quadrant of activities, is detrimental to the public image of aviation, gives the anti-aviaiton people fodder to use against us, and definitely infringes on everything that EAA has built.

bmcj and Voidhawk9 like this.
  16. Dec 2, 2019 #16

dtnelson

dtnelson

dtnelson

Wow... detrimental in the same way that the Happy Bottom Riding Club was detrimental to Edwards AFB?

I guess I wasn't aware that the fact that pilots drink was a closely guarded secret. All those movies of all those drunk pilots at their O clubs... Who knew?

Seriously though, while I agree that EAA has a carefully managed "family" public image, and I fully support that image, SOS is plenty far enough away, and serves several useful purposes. Among these are providing affordable beer and food (thereby providing on field vendors some competition), adding a certain "spice" that's missing on the event grounds, and moving the party out of the EAA campgrounds to a remote area.

Leave 'em alone. This is America!

17. Dec 2, 2019 #17

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Short answer to the question in the thread title...when Tom took over from Paul and the sponsors became more important than the members.

18. Dec 2, 2019 #18

BJC

BJC

BJC

We are in complete agreement.

BJC

edit: Tom became chairman of the annual convention and fly-in, as it was called back then, in 1977, and became chairman of EAA in 1989.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  19. Dec 2, 2019 #19

Pops

Pops

Pops

And I could see it going down the slope each year. After going to OSH each year, after about mid 1980's I didn't care if I went or not.
    My number is 84160.

20. Dec 2, 2019 #20

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Where can I buy a SOS shirt?

I bet they could sell several thousand "Save our SOS" shirts to people thanks to this.

dragon2knight likes this.