• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pictsidhe

I thought we could benefit from threads exchanging info on possible stuff to build planes from. this one is about wheels that aren't approved for aircraft use. I've been looking for suitable wheel and tyre combinations ofr my project and have just bought some in the UK as I can't get them in the US. I have also have two that are available here and measured those up too. Weights are really hard to find on anything, though Amazon sometimes lists weights now.

First up, plastic 4.80/4.00-8 wheelbarrow wheels. You cannot get these in the US. You can find a few on ebay.co.uk from sellers that will ship to the US. Currently, that's the only way to get them the US that i know of, so you lot will probably like to know if they are any good before splurging on internatinal shipping. I came home with two in my suitcase. Wish I'd got three so i could test one to destruction... Tyres are the same size as 15" wheelbarrow wheels available everywhere, but only on metal rims in the USA.

The ones I got are I think some of the stronger ones available. They have two press in plastic bushes in the hub and in the middle is a crude roller bearing. Mine has burrs on the end of some rollers. I'd be inclined to either clean up the ends, or make new rollers to snap into the plastic cage. The rollers run direct on the plastic hub. I dunno how that will hold up yet, but the plastic end bushes should help prevent deep denting by the rollers in case of overload. I plan to find some good quality plastic plain bearings for the ends. The tyre and wheel combos were $20 the pair delivered to the UK. Cheap enough to try them out... If the bearings are not up to the job, plastic rims that take flanged 1 3/8 bearings can be for extra $$$. I wouldn't try plastic wheels without at least press in plain bearings.

4.80/4.00x8 plastic rim wheelbarrow wheel 20mm axle size
Diameter15.25"
Width3.9"
Rim size2.5x8
Rim weight1lb 5.7oz
tube weight13.9oz
Tyre weight2lb 8oz
Total weight4lb 11.6oz

4x8.jpg

Next up, a "6x2" scooter wheel. I bought this one from aliexpress, it was somewhere under $20. I've also seen them on amazon and ebay at slightly higher prices. The aluminium hub is a bit heavy. I haven't seen any plastic hubs for 6x2, but I have seen them for 6x 1 1/4. If I'm tail heavy, I might investigate those. Tread is a bit square, though inflating it to 50 psi helps there. I'll likely put about 10-15pis in it. It'll do for now, though.

6x2 Al rim scooter wheel 608 8mm bearings
Diameter6"
Width1.75"
Rim size33mmx75mm, NOT 3"
Rim weight8.1oz
tube weight2.6oz
Tyre weight9.2oz
Total weight19.9oz
6x2.jpg6x2-2.jpg

I probably won't be using the next one, but it might make a nice nosewheel for someone or even a talwheel on something big. The rim will also take bigger tyres, such as the Horror Fright 10" type. The rim is too wide for the tyre, but that does mean it is a streamlined shape.I think this one was $10 delivered to the UK. I got it for the rim. The rim has flanged 1 3/8 od bearings.

2.5x4 plastic rim wheel 1 3/8OD flanged 16mm bearings. Bearings can be swapped for 3/4" bearings. Some countries have 20mm bearings.

Diameter8.25"
Width2.5"
Rim size2.15x4
Rim weight8.3oz
tube weight5.2oz
Tyre weight1lb
Total weight1lb 13.5oz

2.5x4.jpg2.5x4-2.jpg

last, we have the untrusty Horror Fright 10" wheel. I had some kicking around so I measured one. The tyre and tube will fit the wider and much lighter plastic 4" rim above. The plastic rim may well be stronger, too...

Horror Fright 10", same bearings as 2.5x4
Diameter10"
Width3"
Rim size1.85x4
Rim weight1lb 3.5oz
tube weight6.3oz
Tyre weight1lb 7.4oz
Total weight3lb 1 oz

The wheels I've chosen are about 10% smaller diameter and 20% less width than true scale for my Hurricane project. Going a bit bigger involves extra weight, so that'll do. I like the wheelbarrow tyres for their size to weight ratio. go a little larger, tyres are suddenly about double the weight. I'm hoping the plastic rims are adequate. I've found them to be just fine on wheelbarrows and small carts in the UK.

For possible OTS tyre sizes and weights, I generally look first at the Carlisle tyre catalogue. They are in my view, reasonable quality tyres at a reasonable price and very widely available.

Edit: Forgot to mention, a lot of the Carlisle tyres are tubeless. I may try one and see how it works tubeless with the plastic rims.

Last edited:
Back