• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wheel Hub dimensions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCrawford

I've been making up some wheel hubs to be able to change my Nipper from the 3 1/2 x 4.95 tyres (made from unobtainium) to easily obtained and much, much cheaper 4.00 x 4 (even from Tost!). However I've come across an interesting issue regarding the hub sizes which I hope the forum may be able to solve:
The optional, original manufacture, Nipper 4.00 x 4 hub is 75mm between the side plates at the point where the tyre sits in the hub. That is an internal measurement between the side plates. However I have measured the same dimension on a Tost hub and it is much narrower at 45mm.
I have emailed Tost asking them about the recommended mounting width for their tyres and had no response so I am asking the forum if anybody knows the factors which determine the tyre mounting width. I'm inclined to go for 45mm as that's what I've measured on a Tost hub with a Tost tyre as used on my glider.
Regards
Jim

Back