• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What's the lightest covering/coating for an Ultralight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13brv3

Supporting Member
Greetings,

If your goal was to cover ultralight wings with the minimum weight, what would you choose?

Oratex certainly claims to be the winner for lightweight, which goes hand in hand with being the most expensive, and hardest to get. It doesn't require any coating, which is nice, and your shop won't be a hazmat area after using it.

For any other coating, I'd imagine Superflite 104 is probably about the best choice for fabric. The question then becomes which coating is lightest. I'm painfully familiar with the Polyfiber system, and I've heard of Stewart Systems, and just plain old latex paint. I really don't know how they rate when it comes to weight.

It seems to me that sealing the fabric is the primary thing that HAS to be done. Any color coating is just cosmetic. UV protection could be important, but in my case the aircraft would never be left outside, so the UV exposure would be negligeable. Can any of the coatings seal and add color with a single coat on the bare fabric?

Thanks,
Rusty

Back