Whats the best aircraft design software?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Protech Racing

What are you using? Does it give airfoil changes with flaps.spoilers etc?
Thanks.MM
I n particular , i would like to run an airfoil with spoilerons. And watch the change in airflow . My napkin simulator shows a little increase in lift at low deflection. Counter to desire.
Clark Y with spoilerons top mounted at 32%.

Geraldc

There is software on X-Plane that lets you design and simulate.

Protech Racing

The increase in lift matches my napkin data :) But I dont see how the leading edge gets more pressure withan obstical so far away.
I wonder about the 10 *deflection values.
I think that my top mounted Spoilerons are still going to work.I may add to the length to maximize the lift value of the spoilers.
Maybe I should model it at 1/4 scale .

WonderousMountain

I used a legal pad and some lead pencils. Occasionally a ruler
Well, it’s flying.
Legal pads are good, you can pick up Water Color Journals too.
Thicker paper lasts longer & absorbs most inks better than notebooks.
Switched after researching for a mass postcard scheme...

So many good ideas!,
CK _ LuPii

Protech Racing

I was looking around for spoileron data. I want to use them for a few reasons.
Trying to not twist the mostly foam wing.
Roll control without adverse yaw
Roll control at high AOA
Cleaner wing.
Easier to fold maybe.
My" napkin simulator" suggested the possibility of increasing lift at low up deflection due to increased vacuum above the rear wing section. Counter to desire.
The research paper that I found showed that the spoilers, undeflected, increased the attached air flow further back than not having them, increasing the CL value . Sorta like the leading edge cuffs.
The data did not show increased lift as deflection increased . Maybe they failed to try it or maybe it doesnt happen .

I was only going to use a short spoiler, but may increase the length.
My other question is that , Do I want to disturb the tip area and risk increasing the tip stall situation, or do I run the spoilers all the way to the tip plates .?

Last edited:

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
I used a legal pad and some lead pencils. Occasionally a ruler
Well, it’s flying.
I have to add that the critical stuff was looked at by a professional(s). The spars and struts were ok like I had them drawn up. The main gear leg needed a finger strap at the axle/leg intersection. The tail...well, the fourth one is on it now. All of them flew ok except one which everybody said was too small and I didn't doubt that but wanted to see for myself(I got a lotta weight outa the rear during the process but turned out it wasn't enough to make up for the small tail). That was the one I flew to OSH. Had my stuff in walmart sacks and stuffed as far forward around the front of the cockpit as possible and the baggage compartment empty. It was a handful. Yeah the naysayers were right but now I know firsthand what it's like to fly a plane with an undersized tail. I can look at one now and if the dimensions look a little marginal the hair on the back of my neck starts standing up.