• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What's Really Important - BBQ Near Airport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
(Hangar Flying > Off Topic)
All this talk about nuts and bolts, lifting lines, camber lines, chord lines, rivet lines... it's just a yawn-fest, and it's interfering with something truly important.

Yesterday our EAA chapter received a generous donation of an HP-14 glider project. Yours truly, HBA member SteveL, along with my wife (and our spoiled little Dachshund) all drove out to a beautiful place called Tehachapi, CA to pick it up. Previously, myself and two or three other HBA participants had the opportunity to have the aviation equivalent of a "power lunch" at a fantastic BBQ restaurant in that town (at the Experimental Soaring Association Labor Day event). So I knew where lunch was going to be, and (as expected) it was fantastic.

On the way home, it dawned on me to make an emergency phone call to my local secret airport bum organization's communications department, and let them know about a really good BBQ restaurant within walking distance of Tehachapi Municipal airport KTSP. The chief of the communications hub, code name Air Conditioning Bob (also known as Three Comanche Bob for having owned and restored two single Comanches and now a gorgeous Twin Comanche, also has a Salvay Skyhopper E-AB) agreed that he would start creating an airport bum fly-out to this place.

So, I feel it's critical to general aviation that we create a master database of good BBQ joints you can fly into, or within a short walk from an airport. Places where you can get real BBQ, not some generic airport coffee shop where they glop a tablespoon of BBQ sauce on one of their generic burgers.

I'll start with the one I went to yesterday, it's called Red House BBQ, across the street from KTSP in Tehachapi CA.

What can you guys add to this list?

Back