What's Really Important - BBQ Near Airport

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
(Hangar Flying > Off Topic)
All this talk about nuts and bolts, lifting lines, camber lines, chord lines, rivet lines... it's just a yawn-fest, and it's interfering with something truly important.

Yesterday our EAA chapter received a generous donation of an HP-14 glider project. Yours truly, HBA member SteveL, along with my wife (and our spoiled little Dachshund) all drove out to a beautiful place called Tehachapi, CA to pick it up. Previously, myself and two or three other HBA participants had the opportunity to have the aviation equivalent of a "power lunch" at a fantastic BBQ restaurant in that town (at the Experimental Soaring Association Labor Day event). So I knew where lunch was going to be, and (as expected) it was fantastic.

On the way home, it dawned on me to make an emergency phone call to my local secret airport bum organization's communications department, and let them know about a really good BBQ restaurant within walking distance of Tehachapi Municipal airport KTSP. The chief of the communications hub, code name Air Conditioning Bob (also known as Three Comanche Bob for having owned and restored two single Comanches and now a gorgeous Twin Comanche, also has a Salvay Skyhopper E-AB) agreed that he would start creating an airport bum fly-out to this place.

So, I feel it's critical to general aviation that we create a master database of good BBQ joints you can fly into, or within a short walk from an airport. Places where you can get real BBQ, not some generic airport coffee shop where they glop a tablespoon of BBQ sauce on one of their generic burgers.

I'll start with the one I went to yesterday, it's called Red House BBQ, across the street from KTSP in Tehachapi CA.

What can you guys add to this list?

Tiger Tim

Not BBQ but there used to be excellent fish and chips near the Killarney airport in Ontario (that being Canada, not California).

Bigshu

Supporting Member
K81, Miami county airport, just outside of Paola Kansas. We B Smokin' BBQ on airport. I prefer my sauce a little more hot, a little less sweet, but a nice spot for lunch.

KLXT, Lee's Summit Municipal. Filling Station BBQ. Down the street from the airport, but they have crew cars available. What a Burger is there too, but that not BBQ.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I'll start with the one I went to yesterday, it's called Red House BBQ, across the street from KTSP in Tehachapi CA.
  1. You came up here, right across the street from the airport, and didn't stop in to say hi?
  2. Red House is great, and although they wear shirts exclaiming their disdain for vegetarians, as a vegetarian I still really like their sides (and when I was eating fish, their catfish was good, too).
Sheesh.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
I also feel slighted by the "drive by and no stop" antics of the OP.

Not a BBQ place per se, but Harris Ranch is a fine place to get some BBQ options.

Also VGT (North Vegas) has the Roadkill Grill nearby, and that is some GOOD food.

TFF

M01 has a Tops BBQ just short of walking distance. You could, but you might be accosted. Local staple chain. True hole in the wall, greasy spoon. Since you have taken the crew car and just head south a little further there is The Rendezvous, a major BBQ destination, or just a little further, there is Central BBQ a higher end local chain. There are others if you decide to just drive around.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
  1. You came up here, right across the street from the airport, and didn't stop in to say hi?
  2. Red House is great, and although they wear shirts exclaiming their disdain for vegetarians, as a vegetarian I still really like their sides (and when I was eating fish, their catfish was good, too)

Oops... sorry, but I didn't have permission to go airport-bumming on a Sunday, which is usually "family day", but I negotiated an exception for the glider only :oops:

Red House has shirts that are almost as smart-assed as me. Women's tank tops with the words "Try the full rack", and T-shirts saying "Smoke Ribs, not Meth".

If MZ is a veggie and he still walks in to that joint for the side orders... it must be good!

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
I also feel slighted by the "drive by and no stop" antics of the OP.

I pointed out your strip as we drove by! I told my wife "Hey Babe, that's the place right there where the nice guy with the Rocket and the T-craft lives, and who gave us the hotrod Pacer.... I want to show you his hangar, it's really nice, hey we ought to have one like that for my antique Cotter Pin collection, and we could convert part of it into a loft to sleep in, and we..."

I don't remember much after that, but I had a bucking bar sized lump on my head and little Dachshund fang marks in my keester when I woke up.

Bill-Higdon

I pointed out your strip as we drove by! I told my wife "Hey Babe, that's the place right there where the nice guy with the Rocket and the T-craft lives, and who gave us the hotrod Pacer.... I want to show you his hangar, it's really nice, hey we ought to have one like that for my antique Cotter Pin collection, and we could convert part of it into a loft to sleep in, and we..."

I don't remember much after that, but I had a bucking bar sized lump on my head and little Dachshund fang marks in my keester when I woke up.
When you woke up, Or regained Consciousness en ICU?:grave: Just asken fur a friend

Bille Floyd

Yesterday our EAA chapter received a generous donation of an HP-14 glider project. Yours truly, HBA member SteveL, along with my wife (and our spoiled little Dachshund) all drove out to a beautiful place called Tehachapi, CA to pick it up.

I had an airline pilot contact him when it was for sale , If :
(it's the same one) ?
The owner gave my friend some shots that made me run away ; I
figured that the spar would need to be taken apart, and cleaned.
Hope i was wrong ?

Bille

Attachments

• HP14 .jpg
    HP14 .jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 35

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Same glider, incorrect diagnosis. The structure looked safe on initial impression.

We have not done a full inspection yet by any means, so there might be stuff lurking in there that is bad, but we haven't seen it yet.

Built and stored in New Mexico, then brought to Tehachapi. Stored under a carport in Tehachapi.

Plenty of small/medium tasks and IRAN to do, but no damage or large missing parts.

Bob, I will take care of your shipping ASAP, been frazzled with too many tasks this last week or so.