What's in your hangar or workshop?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
My hangar of 50 years has our pristine AA1A covered with bed sheets, 2 BC12D Taylorcrafts needing to be restored, engine parts, airframe parts, single place one off experimental with Cushman engine, 3 continental engines, 1000's AN hardware, 1000's and 1000's of new wing parts for Honcho plus a lot of dust. At 85, yes there will be a problem in the future for my wife and son but they can call it scrap and deal with it as they see fit. Until then I know where everything is located.
No T-craft, Conti engine, or AN hardware collection is just scrap. Make sure your family knows that stuff should go somewhere it can all return to flight, even if it goes at no better than scrap value.

n45bm

Whoever built it, started with the Corby plans, and that's almost where the similarity ends!
Was lightened (if that seems possible) to fit into our Australian ultralight category.
Nose was lengthened and a Hirth F23 fitted, as well as tricycle undercarriage.
The wings were lengthened a couple of feet each side, and cut in half to make two piece wings.
It had changed hands a few times when I got it, and I spent about four months tidying the whole thing up, I'll do a story here at some stage...
Flown it for about 2 1/2 hours sorting the prop, then the engine sounded a bit off, and during the time trying to sort it out, other things got in the way and before I knew it, the Corby had been sitting in the corner for a couple of years...
View attachment 116695
A nose-dragger Starlet. Blasphemy! Well, it IS different. The plans I got from John Corby also show a two wing panel option, with the wings bolted in the center, though I opted for the one piece wing. Hope you get it flying again soon. I'd like to compare, maybe.

Michael Silvius

Gathering dust in the barn, an orphaned Jodel/Falconar F-12 acquired about ten yeas ago

Attachments

Michael Silvius

I dig the rotary setup!
Keeping it simple. Gravity fed carb to be mounted low on the firewall. Adapted the more compact and lighter waterpump from a later Renessis engine to the 13B in order to move the engine back enough to keep the prop flange where it was intended to be with the Lyc/Cont engine setup.

dwalker

Keeping it simple. Gravity fed carb to be mounted low on the firewall. Adapted the more compact and lighter waterpump from a later Renessis engine to the 13B in order to move the engine back enough to keep the prop flange where it was intended to be with the Lyc/Cont engine setup.
I am a EFI guy myself, hate carbs.

Michael Silvius

I am a EFI guy myself, hate carbs.
While EFI might be most efficient and provide more power it tends to be the major teething problem on these rotary conversions. And not being the sharpest pencil in the box I'll stick with the problem I can figure out for now. Later as I get smarter that may change. My original intention was to do the three motorcycle carbs as Tracy Crook did for the first 600 hrs. But one down low as they do on the Corvair conversions has its appeal and eliminates the ECU all together. Distributer/Crank angle sensor is already set up for two breakers.

Attachments

Last edited:

dwalker

While EFI might be most eficient an provide more power t it tends to be the major teething problem on these rotary conversions. And not being the sharpest pencil in the box I'll stick with the problem I can figure out for now. Lateras I get smarter that may change. My original intention was to do the three motorcycle carbs as Tracy Crook did for the first 600 hrs. But one down low as they do on the Corvair conversions has its appeal and eliminates the ECU all together. Distributer/Crank angoe sensor is already set up for two breakers.
Not sure why EFI seems to be the stumbling block, it is really pretty easy.
I for sure would not use the points type ignition at all, instead use an EIS.
On my turbo rotary I am using an AEM Infinity ECU as they are proven and I have a fair amount of experience with them.

Michael Silvius

Not sure why EFI seems to be the stumbling block, it is really pretty easy.
I for sure would not use the points type ignition at all, instead use an EIS.
On my turbo rotary I am using an AEM Infinity ECU as they are proven and I have a fair amount of experience with them.
I've been following the Rotary Fly-list for many years now and it seems to be a consistent issue. Tracy no longer makes his ECU. And rather than try and forge new ground in an area I know nothing about for now I'll go with what I understand. Later that may change. I am not looking for max hp out of this. 120 tops is more than plenty for this AC. Looking to keep it simple.

Attachments

dwalker

Well, there is a reason I have not joined that list. Having looked at Tracys EFI on a working aircraft I have no interest in using it myself. It was good for the time period it was created in but technology has come a long way.

Michael Silvius

Well, there is a reason I have not joined that list. Having looked at Tracys EFI on a working aircraft I have no interest in using it myself. It was good for the time period it was created in but technology has come a long way.
Fair enough. I never participated much there just read what those before me had done and tried to learn what I could. I was lucky enough to score one of Tracy's redrives from his last production run.

dwalker

Fair enough. I never participated much there just read what those before me had done and tried to learn what I could. I was lucky enough to score one of Tracy's redrives from his last production run.
I have a Ross and am going to have a RWS here in the near future, not for any real reason other than just to have one.

Pops

Log Member
I've been following the Rotary Fly-list for many years now and it seems to be a consistent issue. Tracy no longer makes his ECU. And rather than try and forge new ground in an area I know nothing about for now I'll go with what I understand. Later that may change. I am not looking for max hp out of this. 120 tops is more than plenty for this AC. Looking to keep it simple.
I would love to have a F-12 that far long. Biggest mistake I have made was selling my F-12. Lyc engine as far as I can guess was putting out about 16/165 HP. With the climb prop it was easy to get close to VNE. Cruise at 150 mph.
Looks like your F-12 don't have flaps, you will need the drag of flaps.
Sure remember the shape of the fuel tank. My fuel tank was 28 gal.

Michael Silvius

This
I would love to have a F-12 that far long. Biggest mistake I have made was selling my F-12. Lyc engine as far as I can guess was putting out about 16/165 HP. With the climb prop it was easy to get close to VNE. Cruise at 150 mph.
Looks like your F-12 don't have flaps, you will need the drag of flaps.
Sure remember the shape of the fuel tank. My fuel tank was 28 gal.
This example is a very early one so it still has the wash out built into the spar and the original six foot wingtips from the dihedral out as the Jodel. Later models went with the simpler Falconar (no washout) spar and washout was achieved purely via rib placement. Wingtips from the dihedral out was also lengthened and center section shortened in later Falconars. As you pointed out in another thread the tail on the later F12 became swept as well. I have a set of the Frank Rogers plans for for the "Sky Queen" Australian approved version of Jodel DR1050 "Ambassadeur" and can find little difference between mine and it other than the more square firewall top and solid bulkhead behind the front seats. It has a under belly spoiler but no proper flaps on that either.

Pops

Log Member
My F-12 was a early model , finished it in 1980. Straight tail , washout in spar, also had flaps. The seat back bulkhead is structural member built up with spruce and plywood and hardwood blocks for the rear of the wing attach point.
Your picture of the F-12 looks like the construction of my F-12 except no flaps and I use the round LG legs from C-150 attached to steel tubes built into the lg bracket that bolts to the main spar. Worked very good. I used a taiwheel that mounted in a tube with a valve spring that bolted on the bottom of the rear fuselage, also worked very good.