What's in your hangar or workshop?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

My hangar of 50 years has our pristine AA1A covered with bed sheets, 2 BC12D Taylorcrafts needing to be restored, engine parts, airframe parts, single place one off experimental with Cushman engine, 3 continental engines, 1000's AN hardware, 1000's and 1000's of new wing parts for Honcho plus a lot of dust. At 85, yes there will be a problem in the future for my wife and son but they can call it scrap and deal with it as they see fit. Until then I know where everything is located.

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
We blue state (yet EAA-minded) folks admire you red state (and/or rural blue-state) guys who can afford the luxury of liberties like space for reloading, race cars, and the like. Kudos. Property taxes and real estate prices prohibit me from storing more than ordinary household tools, a modest woodworking workshop, and perhaps an unused motorcycle or two in the basement. Need to get rid of the motorcycles to make room for a fuselage...

PMD

I thought for sure when the materials cost came down I would get back into it, but all the subs I want to use are booked for... basically ever! and its just dragging on and on! Meanwhile, no cool new shop for me.. This year.
We were planning to build on our unbroken land for last two years, but you know the story there. Difference for me has been we are also trying to develop a new building process so I have been collecting the junk to be able to work from raw material stage to finished product on site. Thus, my recent efforts not homebuilt airplane but instead homebuilt home/shop.

Richard Roller

I have a friend who has over 10,000 square feet (climate controlled) of densely packed, good, useful, stuff. He has cannons, all sorts of weapons, cars, airplane parts, tools, military equipment (jet fighter cockpits, drop tanks, ejection seats, specialty maintenance tools. etc.) His wife (RIP) left, literally, tons of new and antique stuff. Their two adult children live far away, and have no interest in any of the items.

The only likely winner is the salvage dealer who will buy the stuff from the estate for pennies, and throw away all that doesn't have immediate resale value.

I've seen that movie several times. Sad.

BJC
When my friend, who built N34KP, died he left a basement full of parts, raw stock, a verticle mill, lathes, bar folders, 4 airplane projects, etc., you couldn't hardly move down there. I was allowed to take certain tools I wanted and the rest was donated to our local VAA chapter. It was a tremendous amount of work for the chapter to move everything. The family was very pleased that everything would be used to continue his passion for aviation. What the chapter didn't need was sold to other aircraft people to benefit the chapter. A win for all.

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

Pops

Supporting Member
My hanger has the least in it for many years. When were were building 4 Bearhawk projects in the hanger, my SSSC, C-172, one disassembled J-3 cub, another L-4 Cub, my 1968 VW Bug with the V-8 engine, my 1981 Chevy 3/4 ton truck. It was hard to find a way to walk around.
Had to store the SSSC and the J-3 on its nose , L-4 over the paint booth. Bearhawk fuselage jig.jpg axle jig.jpg

I'm looking for a Continental powered APU/GPU (Packette) PE90 if anyone has one under all their stuff . Needing cylinders . And don't forget , (He WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS , WINS) .

Bill-Higdon

I'm looking for a Continental powered APU/GPU (Packette) PE90 if anyone has one under all their stuff . Needing cylinders . And don't forget , (He WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS , WINS) .
The cylinders are basically O-470 cylinders if you need updraft look for IO-470, or for a little more HP use IO-520

Looking to get rid of these?
50/50
Still have to get things cleaned up and sorted out. Mr. Bede told me once when I asked that the wings would plug right into a BD-6 and my brother is still considering that project.
I put the stretch into the fuselage and used Hysol thinking it would be better than the ProSeal. That was back when I was still relatively uneducated.
I now consider both to be mistakes.

The cylinders are basically O-470 cylinders if you need updraft look for IO-470, or for a little more HP use IO-520
Thank You Bill . I'll definitely check that out . Had no idea that the 470 / 520 would interchange . I think that I want the induction system on the upper front with a TBI , kinda like the O-240 , but still investigating . I don't see anyone doing such a thing . Guess I'm looking for (why not)