Whats everyone think?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

git1

Do you have a website? That'd be my no1 priority.
Yes we do have a web site, but I think it needs help badly.
if you would like to know any thing about the products we sell
feel free to call ask for George or Patrick we would more than glad to talk to you and answer any question
you have.

316 755 2085

thanks

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Need more information in the ad, it's too vague... and a website is a must. Nowadays people don't want to make a phone call; they go to the website first and then maybe make a phone call.

-Dana

Campaigns to bearproof all garbage containers in some national parks have been difficult, because as one biologist put it, "There is a considerable overlap between the intelligence levels of the smartest bears and the stupidest tourists."

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I'll second (most) of the other opinions - you need to provide more information along the way to making the sale. The purpose of the ad should only be to get them to your website. The website makes the sale. If your website is poor, you should get that fixed before you spend money on an ad campaign.

Assume your customers know nothing about the subject, and especially that they have no clue why they would want or need your product. Those reasons might be obvious to you, but when you write your ad, imagine that you're selling these to your grandmother (whom we'll pretend is a pilot, too.) What does "save the life of your battery" mean? Why should she care? Is it worth it to her?

And sorry, but lose the lightning bolts. I own and run a graphic design studio for a living, and my professional opinion of them is: "Icky". Sorry, I think it's better to be blunt with you than coddle you when you're about to go public.

git1

I see where your coming from,
so let me ask this where do I find a web designer?
we hired a 18 year old kid who's dad said he is real good.
and in my opinion the kid ....failed.

here is the web site the kid made for the company
Welcome to Hitek Inc! | Hitek Inc.
he used go daddy to make it.

Autodidact

What exactly is wrong with the website? All of the products are shown with clear pictures and a detailed list of specs when you click on the picture, there is a cart and checkout so the people can buy online... Maybe I just don't understand what makes a good website, but I think yours is excellent - I've seen far worse. I even don't hate the graphics! :gig: Be sure to put your web address in your ad, very important.

OK, a critique. On the home page, the search and customer log-in panels could be a little smaller and the product panels could be a little larger and more centrally placed, but that is all of the fault I can find and very easily fixed. I thought the rest of the page was very, very good.

Last edited:

autoreply

and in my opinion the kid ....failed.

here is the web site the kid made for the company
Welcome to Hitek Inc! | Hitek Inc.
he used go daddy to make it.
Well, as others have said before, that's a pretty good website.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not a bad website... not flashy, but that's good; you're selling aircraft electrical products, not video games. Yes, it looks like a canned site but the information is there and easy to find. Only error I saw (I didn't look closely) was improper use of "it's" (should be "its") on the desulfanator page. Not sure why you need a customer login, though... few will want to bother and nothing on the page tells them why they should.

-Dana

If vegetarians eat vegetables... beware of humanitarians!

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Oh yeah. You're not alone there. It happens a lot, but it's the wrong way to go. You wouldn't trust your car or your body to some kid, just because their parent says "Oh, they're really talented!" The problem is three-fold: 1) Parents are supposed to say that, and they care more about getting their kid's nascent business off the ground than actually helping you, 2) The parents almost certainly don't know good from bad, and 3) design is about a lot more than pretty pictures or coding a page. It's about generating sales for your business.

...and in my opinion the kid ....failed.
Well, yeah, he did. What he's done is take a standard WordPress template and dumped in your information. Didn't choose a particularly interesting one, either. I dearly hope you didn't spend a lot of money. Your site does do a minimally acceptable job of talking about your company and your products, and I'll agree with Autodidact - I've seen far worse in my time. But it's not really doing a good job for you, is it, in terms of helping people along towards deciding to purchase your products? The product descriptions aren't very compelling. The pictures are nice, but don't really do more than show a picture of the product (how about some video showing each product in use and giving more information about it?). The site doesn't establish your brand in any meaningful way at all. And as Dana pointed out, some of the spelling and grammar need work. Nothing costs you credibility faster than grammatical and spelling errors.

Now, I don't do the type of web work that you need, so I'm not pitching my own firm at you. My work tends mostly to brochures, books, and catalogs, so I'm not the guy you need for this. So my critique is from the standpoint of wanting to help another small businessman along. Paying forward some of the help I got when I was just starting out. I've got a lot of paying back to do, because some really great people gave me some really great help. :)

So how do you find a good web designer? It's easy and it's hard. My best recommendation is to go find websites that perform a similar function to yours - selling similar categories of products - and see which ones resonate with you and which ones seem to be doing a good job of educating their customers and selling their products. Most web designers for small companies arrange to get a credit line somewhere on the site (usually at the bottom of the home page), and you can contact the designer that way. If there isn't a credit line, call up the company who owns the site, compliment the heck out of it, and ask who did the work. You'll usually get a response.

Once you have the website address of the design firm, go look at their site. They should have client sites linked to theirs, to show examples of their work. You're looking for them to have at least several good sites that you like in their portfolio. If you don't see work on display, that's a bad sign - they're probably just starting up.

If you find a design firm whose work you like and they seem like they've got some experience, give them a call. Tell them about your project and what you hope to accomplish with your website. What you're looking for here is how well you get along with them personally. Are you laughing? Do they "get" you? Designing a web page is a very subjective thing, and it's important to have a good personal relationship. Especially since a website is never "finished". You'll be working with them probably for years, as your own business grows and changes, and as you make updates to the site. You'll also want them to have some provision for either doing the print advertising that drives traffic to your site, or to work with a separate ad or print designer who'll do that work. You want a consistent visual branding experience across all of your marketing materials. That's critically important - look at Apple, for example.

Decide if you want to do "small" website updates yourself, or do you just want to leave that to them? If the former, you'll probably want them to work within something like Wordpress (although with much more customization than you're getting now), and you'll need to learn that platform so that you can make the changes. They can help you with that, and should show you (at the end of the project) how you can do it. If this is the route you want to take, ask them up front if they're willing to do that. Otherwise, you can give them the freedom to design a completely custom site and not have to worry about making it editable by a non-professional.

If your prospective design firm passes all these tests, ask them for an estimate. They should give you an explicit estimate for your job, not just a "per page" fee schedule. The latter is a bad sign - they're probably not really doing custom work, but rather just customizing pre-existing templates. That can be a money-saver if you don't mind, but the result probably won't be as effective, and there's fair odds that your site will look a lot like someone else's site they've done - too much like someone else's site they've done.

A word on costs. A good site isn't cheap. Be prepared to spend in the neighborhood $3,000-$6,000 for a site the size of yours, done right. It's a tax write-off, of course, so that helps. Most of that money goes towards the research and development of the design - coding the actual pages is relatively inexpensive by comparison. So you're paying for the marketing development, really. And that's what's going to help you build sales.

Good luck to you! :)

git1

Well we got mixed reviews on our site, locally the guys say "you need help"
and some of you on here say its a good site.

I like calling people and asking about the products, I think I get my questions answered faster that way, instead of having to click around for it.

Autodidact

For many websites geared toward experimental aviation, I'd say yours is above average. But compared to a big commercial site like Grainger or Grizzly or even Brandnewengines.com, it doesn't compare. For a kid, I think he did OK.

autoreply

Well we got mixed reviews on our site, locally the guys say "you need help"
and some of you on here say its a good site.
Everything is relative. Your site is "pretty OK" and certainly "good enough", but could be better. Relative to some other companies in experimental aviation, where some sites are so horrible they send me away running.
I like calling people and asking about the products, I think I get my questions answered faster that way, instead of having to click around for it.
Without a good website they will never even call you... or at least 90% of your potential customers won't.