What's a good gyro for an HKS 700E (60HP) engine?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
OK, so here's the post where I admit that I've been duped by marketing, and my own stubbornness. I decided to try to find comparisons between the HKS power, and the 503 and 582. Over the years I've always heard "weight of a 582 and power of a 503" when people spoke of testing the HKS.

I found a few threads with some various measurements from static thrust tests, or flight figures, which can never really be compared. The best of which is VB's thread from this very forum.

The most interesting and irrefutable information I found comes from basic calculations. It seems that a 680 CC engine at 6200 RPM, without supercharging would be expected to make about 45 HP. That figure was quoted in a number of posts, and can be found by going to any of the generic HP calculators online. This actually does explain a lot, though it's sort of embarrassing to just figure this out now...

The HKS may still be a good choice for some fixed wing aircraft, but I officially agree that it's not going to be a good choice for a gyro. The good news is that I got a decent deal on the engine when I bought it, and it was fun to play with, but it looks like time for a Barnstormers ad. I'll move to the 912, or look into the many new and unproven conversions that are popping up everywhere.

Thanks for steering me toward reality.
Rusty
How much you want for it? I need an HKS like a dead man needs a coffin.

Thanks,

Yellowhammer

13brv3

HBA Supporter
How much you want for it? I need an HKS like a dead man needs a coffin.
LOL! I will certainly sell it, but I have a friend who gets the first shot at it. I told him I'd give him a couple days to decide before I post it for sale anywhere. I'll let you know if he doesn't want it.

Rusty