Whatever Happened to the 1/3 Corvair Conversion?

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Cy V, Jul 6, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 6, 2018 #1

Cy V

Cy V

Cy V

Does anyone know what became of this idea? I remember it being announced a few years ago, a couple of videos were made of a working prototype, and then nothing. I thought it was a great idea.

[video=youtube_share;pbG0-VDoGjI]https://youtu.be/pbG0-VDoGjI[/video]

2. Jul 6, 2018 #2

Cy V

Cy V

Cy V

[video=youtube_share;S0nW8VlGwsE]https://youtu.be/S0nW8VlGwsE[/video]

3. Jul 6, 2018 #3

Rconc

Rconc

Rconc

4. Jul 7, 2018 #4

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

What advantage would that have over a half VW?

And could you take whats left and make a 2/3rd corvair?

5. Jul 7, 2018 #5

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

I don’t think you could since a six cylinder engine generally has the crank throws 120* apart rather than the 180* you’d see in a four cylinder. I don’t know though if the end result of a Corvair four would be damaging vibration or just sounding weird.

I kind of suspect the real reason we don’t see more 1/3 Corvairs is that the junkyards aren’t really full of these engines nowadays.

6. Jul 7, 2018 #6

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

As already noted a 2/3 Corvair would be strange because of the 120º crank throws. There was a 3 cylinder version that used half the engine. At one time there was some info about it on the web. But a quick search just now found nothing. Probably not worth the hassle.

I did like the 1/3 version. Not sure of any advantages over the 1/2 VW ...

Dale
    N319WF

PS: I do like the latest 1/2 engine version ... Pete's O-100!

7. Jul 7, 2018 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

The junkyard factor has to be the main reason. You can buy everything new for the VW. You are not dependent on luck. If building a junkyard engine , it's best if they are overflowing and at giveaway prices so you can mess up a couple. A lot of work to be just a little different.

8. Jul 7, 2018 #8

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

FWIW ... there were a lot of Corvairs produced (1.8 million) and quite a number of engines remain. However, the ones desired for aircraft conversion are the later long stroke versions (1964-1969). The only parts needed are the case halves, head cores, and rear oil case cover. All the other parts of the engine can be supplied as new when the engine is properly converted for flight use. The amount of new parts depends on the degree of conversion and how much the builder is willing to do and spend on a reliable engine.

I have not an issue finding Corvair cores. Some are available the local repair shop that does Corvair work, others from Corvair clubs & groups, some at salvage yards, and the last one I bought was on Craig's list not too far from me. I don't really trust anything on Craig's list or eBay unless I can go and look at it in person. BTW ... few people are aware that there are currently plans in place to produce cases & heads if that were to be necessary. So far it hasn't been.

The VW parts are more plentiful but if you need enough power to fly a two seat aircraft ... the VW conversion is taxed quite a bit in that role. The Corvair is a pretty good fit for a two seat aircraft and has worked well on slow aircraft like the Pietenpol up to faster aircraft like the KR's. To me it is worth it.

Dale
    N319WF

9. Jul 7, 2018 #9

TFF

TFF

TFF

My first car ride was in 1960 one from the hospital. Back in the 80s i would see them piled up at the junkyard. Now occasionally see one on the road. There use to be about a half dozen cars in one storage, but they have been disrupted. My other love is cars so I notice. I would bet there are less than 30,000 in any form left. Its almost rare to see a 65 Mustang or a old style Bug, much less than anything built in lesser numbers. I have a 215 languishing; use to have more and had a Range Rover. Finding it is not the real problem; I gave up the buy anything for a rainy day. Finding one that does not need shipping is more of the hard norm. Miss it as its fun to hoard, but I am out of room for the just in case scenario. I did see a bumper sticker that did say, Its not hoarding if the stuff is cool.

10. Jul 7, 2018 #10

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Guilty as charged. I have a '74 Beetle that I bought a couple of years ago. It gets driven a couple of times a week. I have another that is a Super Beetle and it is the "autostick" version. Need to put an engine back in it. I do love old cars and sometimes lament to my grandchildren that they won't get to experience the really cool, high horsepower stuff that I grew up with. One of my first cars was a 1966 Cadillac Calais. They were quite the land yacht at the time. Arrived at a girlfriend's house for a date. Her dad took one look at the car and said, "no." I asked why. He mentioned something about the front seat being the size of a sofa!:roll:

Went last weekend with my oldest brother as he picked up a 1965 Ford Falcon 2 door, with the 170 (red valve cover) straight six in it. C-4 auto tranny. It's in really good shape and only needs a bit of TLC to be nearly perfect.

Not sure how this thread drift applies to airplanes except to say that we all need something to drive to the airport ...

Dale
    N319WF

11. Jul 7, 2018 #11

TFF

TFF

TFF

Personally want a 64 Falcon wagon.

12. Jul 7, 2018 #12

don january

don january

don january

Back to Corvair. The 145 ci block will work but mod's to the inside of the case is required or you must run the shorter rod's and I'm sure there is plenty of 145 blocks left. I thought of building up a twin cylinder Corvair for my T-mono but never researched the 5th bearing and what is needed for a good crank and William Wynne as far as I know doesn't talk about the 2 cylinder engine? Nor Bill Clapp that I'm aware of.

13. Jul 7, 2018 #13

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

One third of 145 is 48cu.
    You can buy a brand new Briggs 49cu for $959.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  14. Jul 8, 2018 #14

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I keep wondering about aero converting some of the Briggs. The vanguard 627cc are made by daihatsu and 77lb stock. The 810cc are 87lb stock. Someone is already doing aero versions of the 993 vanguards.

15. Jul 8, 2018 #15

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Who is doing aeroconversion of 993 Briggs?
    That would be the heavy big block.
    I think Colomban and others use the 810 in France.

16. Jul 8, 2018 #16

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I thought colomban used the 627? I just checked the big block, it's a Generac...

17. Jul 8, 2018 #17

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Yeah, the Generac was 993. But discontinued, I understand.

18. Jul 8, 2018 #18

Rconc

Rconc

Rconc

The Corvair handles the heat better. Sat in on a Scott Casler forum at OSH a couple of years ago and most of the discussion was about VW's lack of ability to shed heat

19. Jul 8, 2018 #19

ToddK

ToddK

ToddK

There is a guy in Waco who is putting together a half vw with large fin cylinders from a major American Motorcycle manufacture. Might give the O-100 a run for its money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdubY_EAi1w

20. Jul 8, 2018 #20

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Harley stopped one aero engine project. No doubt that is why this engine uses cylinders from a 'popular American motorcycle' instead...
    Could be very interesting. Cooling is the achilles heel of VWs.

ToddK likes this.