Whatever happed to Synergy by McGinnes?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

trimtab

The idea for the box wing was not novel back then, and the efficiencies contemplated are not the sort of thing that provides a breakthrough to revolutionize aviation. It's a neat idea. It's just not an 8x reduction in drag idea as claimed.

llemon

I find it curious the number of new kit / homebuilt developers that are jumping straight to production molds etc. before flying a prototype first. Gambling on getting it just right first time seems like a big gamble indeed. Have any of the big successes done it this way?

The Rutan canards had prototypes that differed somewhat from the final plans designs (though no molds here - one could argue they are all built like prototypes).
Vans has demonstrated again this year that they build prototypes first (see RV-15) to refine the concept before going to production.

The 'direct to production' concept was tried during the cold war to save money and get new aircraft online quickly. Didn't work to well - early models tended to not be combat useful (see F-105 for example - F-105Bs were never considered for combat use, despite quite a number being produced).
The original EZ prototype different from the final variEZ pretty significantly.
ez poc vs ez prod.png

Now to stay on-topic, I'm looking forward to seeing how the reduced RCS of synergy will be tested. I think that would be a first for a homebuilt.

PagoBay

Now to stay on-topic, I'm looking forward to seeing how the reduced RCS of synergy will be tested. I think that would be a first for a homebuilt.
RCS - Rooster Cogburn Shooting?? Didn't realize Synergy was to be armed. That would be a first for a homebuilt.

aeromomentum

The original EZ prototype different from the final variEZ pretty significantly.
View attachment 129808

To me it looks like the only major difference is the person in the back seat of the production version is female...

Voidhawk9

Supporting Member
The original Long-Ez re-used too much of the Vari-Eze design and had to be changed - was quite unstable, as I understand it. Clearly worked out very well in the end!
I imagine there are plenty of similar tales that Van and his team could relate.