Whatever became of ......

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Richard6

Same guy, and same house. If I could figure out how to grab a screenshot from a video, I could share a picture of Bud with his plane in his driveway. His youngest(?) son, Dan, posted an appropriately-sappy video to a closed group on Facebook when the house sold after being their home for 61 years.
If you are viewing the video on your computer, when the part of the video you want to save, hit the "PRTSC SYSRQ" key. This will save the screen shot to the computers clip-board. I don't know any way to save the screen shot as a pdf or JPG, but you can paste it into a word program sheet.

The best I have been able to do is then use your computers "Sniping Tool" to capture the screen shave in the word sheet and then you can save it as a jpg. You loose some resolution in the process, but it does work.

Good luck.

Richard

BJC

HBA Supporter
VB wrote, in another thread,
Speaking of composites used in job training programs, having a training program that is affiliated somehow with a known and respected aerospace composite structures expert would look pretty attractive on any funding proposal. If only there was somebody in the Coeur D'Alene area who had that sort of srtreet cred...
Anyone have an update on the SkiGull?

BJC

WBNH

...in the "whatever happened to" vein, I always wondered what became of the Kolb Laser. Then accidentally stumbled upon this LINK while researching truss space frames. No date, but could be a very old message board, still, an ignominious end.

Interestingly, the spar carry through doesn't match other old pictures I'd seen of the naked Laser. See LINK. So maybe this prototype was simply a scrapped early effort?

Either way, interesting design that fell by the wayside.

Geraldc

If you are viewing the video on your computer, when the part of the video you want to save, hit the "PRTSC SYSRQ" key. This will save the screen shot to the computers clip-board. I don't know any way to save the screen shot as a pdf or JPG, but you can paste it into a word program sheet.

The best I have been able to do is then use your computers "Sniping Tool" to capture the screen shave in the word sheet and then you can save it as a jpg. You loose some resolution in the process, but it does work.

Good luck.

Richard
open any picture viewer (I use irfanview) or even microsoft paint .Go edit then paste to bring up image then save as normal.

BJC

HBA Supporter
... what became of the Kolb Laser.
Good question. Given Homer’s previous successes, I fully expected the Laser to be a big success. Hopefully someone here can share the reasons that it never went into production.

BJC

billyvray

If I recall correctly Kolb was concerned a bit about if there was a good market for it (cost:interest ratio) and I think it was just before Homer was to sell the company.

Bill

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I wonder if the current incarnation of the Kolb company owns the rights to the Laser? With a nosewheel option and update engine choices, it might be an interesting prospect for someone looking to purchase an existing design get into the kit business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turd Ferguson

I think the first sale of the company was before the Laser so I think Homer Kolb retained any rights to the Laser. After the sale of Kolb, HK only dabbled in airplane building and I think he Laser was some of his dabbling.

WBNH

The upward folding wings and ability to operate on 582's horsepower seem attractive. But the 400lb useful load turns it into a One-and-a-half place aircraft in most aspects. Small passengers. With the ability to handle the Rotax 80 HP, I wonder why the useful load was so low. I don't imagine they had such minimal structure that it would fail so low. I have to assume it was designed at least to a positive 3 G tolerance at least, though I haven't seen any reports of it.

Perhaps it was all timing, it's disappearance coincided with a change of ownership, perhaps a bit of fear of 2-strokes, low useful load, but it seems likely it would have had a great price advantage over the competition...which were what? KR2s, Pulsars, RV's, Mustang 2s, Zenith 601s, Thorp T-18s...etc.

If the rights are still out there, seems like it would be a great starting point for someone to develop a cruiser for folks who want to share a hangar and who don't want sheet aluminum construction. Partner with UL Power and Oratex and see what they'll donate to develop the next prototype. Thus I daydream.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Now that I think of it, a Kolb Laser with a D-Motor LF26 (about the same weight as a Rotax 582) would be just about perfect.

I wonder if the current incarnation of the Kolb company owns the rights to the Laser? With a nosewheel option and update engine choices, it might be an interesting prospect for someone looking to purchase an existing design get into the kit business.

[video=youtube;AIj3hLg279g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIj3hLg279g[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Does anyone recall ....

Back in the 1960’s there was a one-off featured in Air Progress. It was a very small single seat high wing with an aluminum fuselage and a small Continental (A-65?). The wing tips had end plates. The designer/ builder was an airline pilot, and I think that he flew the HBA from his own farm strip in the mid-west.

If anyone can identify it, please do.

Thanks,

BJC

Tiger Tim

Does anyone recall ....

Back in the 1960’s there was a one-off featured in Air Progress. It was a very small single seat high wing with an aluminum fuselage and a small Continental (A-65?). The wing tips had end plates. The designer/ builder was an airline pilot, and I think that he flew the HBA from his own farm strip in the mid-west.
It wasn't an Aerosport Quail, right?

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Not a plane, but a member check...

Has anyone talked to Rockiedog2 lately? It’s been a week since his last visit and a month and a half since his last post.

Rocky, are you OK buddy?

BJC

HBA Supporter
Googled “Cobalt Aircraft” and got this
Cobalt has ceased operations in July 2018.

The Valkyrie aircraft is now entirely designed, tested and manufactured in California by Centauri Aircraft Company, Inc., owned and managed by David Loury, with the ongoing help of its Early Adopters.

BJC