Whatever became of ......

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Jan 9, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 13, 2018 #81

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

No idea, and I can't quite make out the N-number on the red one, but it sure is a striking design.

2. Mar 13, 2018 #82

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

N-Number of the red one is N801LS, aircraft type "New Horizons 1". FAA says it has a Jabiru.

[​IMG]
    Ron Wanttaja

ScaleBirdsScott and BJC like this.
  3. Mar 13, 2018 #83

BJC

BJC

BJC

Thanks, Ron. I saw a mis-match between six cylinders and the propeller size, but I hadn’t thought of a Jabiru.

BJC

4. May 22, 2018 #84

BJC

BJC

BJC

..the Valkyrie?

BJC

5. May 22, 2018 #85

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Referring back to post #76, is the GESchwarz you're referring to also known as Bud Schwarz? Does anyone know if he is from the Los Angeles area? If so, I can answer part of the mystery about this. I did not realize that the member of our EAA chapter "Bud" Scwarz might be the same guy as GESchwarz on HBA.

Assuming that it is in fact the same guy (I don't know), the Bud Schwarz I knew had a medical event, the family decided to sell the house, which meant the airplane had to go, and he realized that he would not finish the aircraft, and it was donated to some EAA chapter or non-profit organization. This was a few years ago,a nd it is possible or perhaps likely that he passed away.

6. May 22, 2018 #86

TFF

TFF

TFF

That has been a mystery as he was pretty strong on that project. Folding wings and twin verticals.

7. May 22, 2018 #87

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

After looking into it a little, I now believe that HBA's GESchwarz and the "Bud" Schwarz I knew are different people. The original thread about this design featured the name Gary Schwarz, which is different from the name of the fellow I believe I knew from my EAA chapter.

Close, but no cigar.

8. May 22, 2018 #88

stevel

stevel

stevel

Richard "Bud" Schwarz is Gary's (GESchwarz) father. Your story on Bud is correct.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  9. May 22, 2018 #89

stevel

stevel

stevel

As far as I know, Bud is still living.

10. May 22, 2018 #90

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Thanks Steve, I appreciate it. I was there when the house was being listed by a realtor (a pilot friend of mine) and I had learned the family were trying to give Bud's RV-3 / T-18 hybrid project away to an EAA chapter or charitable organization. I am glad to hear he is still alive, I had made an assumption about why the house was put up for sale.

11. May 22, 2018 #91

Pops

Pops

Pops

I sold an Ercoupe project to a Bud Schwarz in 1992. He flew in from CA and rented a truck and took it back to CA. Last time I heard from him he was telling me that he won a first place with it at the national Ercoupe fly-in in AZ and sent me pictures , believe in was in 1994 or 95. In 1992 he told me that he just retired and just got his A&P license and wanted a project and on his return trip to CA he would stop and spend a few days with his son in Ark. I still have his address.

12. May 22, 2018 #92

Pops

Pops

Pops

Just went out in the office in the hanger and checked. I sold the Ercoupe to "Bud" Richand F. Schwarz, 8143 Garden Grove Avenue, Reseda, CA. I know it was in 1992 because I was living on the mountain ridge where I built a home on Grandfathers farm where I grew up and we got 190" of snow that year. I received the letter with pictures of the Ercoupe ( N93602) in 1998 of the 1997 Ecroupe fly-in.

13. May 22, 2018 #93

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

That address is pretty close to where I remember visiting him some years ago to see his project. It's a couple or three of miles from my house at most. Small world :)

14. May 22, 2018 #94

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, the aviation world is very small and a lot of good people.

15. May 22, 2018 #95

stevel

stevel

stevel

Same guy, and same house. If I could figure out how to grab a screenshot from a video, I could share a picture of Bud with his plane in his driveway. His youngest(?) son, Dan, posted an appropriately-sappy video to a closed group on Facebook when the house sold after being their home for 61 years.

16. May 22, 2018 #96

Pops

Pops

Pops

Was the Ercoupe in the driveway? I had the fuselage and tails ready to paint, every part was restored to new condition. New instrument panel and installed the large baggage compartment, etc.

17. May 23, 2018 #97

stevel

stevel

stevel

No, the Ercoupe had long-since been completed and was living at the airport. The plane in the driveway was the RV hybrid that he was building.

18. May 23, 2018 #98

Pops

Pops

Pops

Thanks. It was funny at the time. He called me about some Ercoupe parts and he said he had an Ercoupe but it had a lot of corrosion and I mentioned that I had an Ercoupe project and he kept wanted to buy it, I didn't want to sell, so I just put a high price on it so he wouldn't think anymore about buying it. About 3-4 days latter he called me and ask what I was doing at noon the next day. Told him I had no plans. He said, how about meeting me at KCRW at noon when his flight lands. He had a rental truck already rented for the trip home. So, I didn't really want to sell it but I told him a price and that was that. Taught me a lesson.

19. May 23, 2018 #99

TejasNW

TejasNW

TejasNW

Whatever happened to...

The Wittman Vee? I came across an interesting article on Steve Wittman's formula vee racer. I was not aware he had designed one (I am new to aviation.) Was surprised to learn it preceded the Sonerai I. I know we have a few members here whom raced and flew in the heyday of formula vee. Anybody care to discuss the Wittman Vee's characteristics and what became of the design?

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/witts-vee-feb-1974-aam.htm

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  20. May 23, 2018 #100

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Witt's personal airplane is on display at Witt's hangar, Pioneer Airport near the EAA museum in Oshkosh. There are a few more that have been built and several more under construction. Still an active design, Aircraft Spruce & Specialty owns the rights to the design and a group of Tailwind builders owns the molds for propeller extension and support. A hard core homebuilder should be able to crank one out in a reasonable amount of building time; insert tab A into slot B kit builders might find it a bit more challenging.

Last edited: May 23, 2018