Whatever became of ......

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Jan 9, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2015 #21

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

cheapracer likes this.
  2. Jan 12, 2015 #22

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Wow! That is a huge, complex project.

His last activity at HBA shows as late 2011, and on the "about me" page he indicates that he was installing a Conthetinal IO-360.

Would live to see it fly.

Anyone here know him?

BJC

3. Jan 12, 2015 #23

BJC

BJC

BJC

The last time I saw a DynaCam "engine" was years ago at Sun-n-Fun. It was in a Mooney in the static display area, with signage indication certification success and loads of flying time. Upon close inspection I saw that the "engine" in the Mooney was made of plastic.

BJC

4. Jan 12, 2015 #24

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

5. Aug 4, 2015 #25

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

6. Aug 4, 2015 #26

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

For the left coasters, whatever became of Barry Halstead BH-1 Saffire? This airplane has as much mystique as Dennis Polen's "Special"

Apparently a one-off wonder, I saw the plane at SWRFI in Kerrville, TX ~1992 and could not believe it was a homebuilt. There was nothing on the plane that looked "homemade." Fit and finish were very high quality, something like a Lexus. Every once in a while there is a blip or sighting but to quote Kid Rock "Man I'd like to see that girl again" Even better would be to take a ride!

7. Aug 4, 2015 #27

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

The FAA registry has about 45 records for Polliwagens, in various spellings. However, only about half dozen are actually registered and on half of those the registration is expired, which I suppose in time means they will soon become a record only. There is one that has a current and recent registration but I'd guess the likelihood of finding one currently in flying condition would be like finding a unicorn. From other searches it looks like N42JJ once flew and was exported in the '90's and a possible recent flyer is N12FK, which I can find photos on the internet as being a completed airplane.

8. Aug 4, 2015 #28

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

What happend to Mike Fisher, who actually designed the various Fisher Flying Products designs? I know he sold the company in the 1980s, continued to come up with new designs including the Horizon 1 and 2, then sold those to that company as well. There is a site that claims to be his -- Mike Fisher Aircraft - Design -- selling plans for his Culex twin and Mariah low-wing design, but the $600-1,000 price per plans set makes me wonder. Fisher always seemed to be focused more on the budget builder and his plans and kits priced accordingly.

9. Aug 4, 2015 #29

bwainfan

bwainfan

bwainfan

The Saffire is still flying. Its based at Chino airport. Barry built it as a one-off for himself. He never had any intention of selling kits or plans as far as I know. Whn I last saw him about 6 months ago, he was still enjoying flying his masterpiece.

10. Aug 4, 2015 #30

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I can help with this one: Micro IMP

Basically the prototype came out significantly overweight, and the chosen engine didn't develop the expected power. Molt Taylor's health was declining towards his eventual death, and he was the brains behind the endeavor.

11. Aug 4, 2015 #31

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Jeff was a member here, but has not been active for several years. He posted some progress on finishing the wings a little while before he dropped out of sight again, and I've heard nothing since. I've seen that airplane up-close and personal. Used to stop by Jeff's hangar every couple of weeks, way back in the day. Those pictures above were taken outside that hangar, at Brackett Airport (POC). The thing is a work of art, when you see it up close, and it's built like a tank. Not too heavy, but rather like a military fighter. That's the original Dynacam engine he was going to use, before that company folded. Switched to... I think it was going to be an IO-540 after that, if memory serves.

I hope he finishes it. It's so close. Just the other 90% left to go... :roll:

cheapracer likes this.
  12. Aug 4, 2015 #32

Pops

Pops

Pops

My old friend and aircraft building buddy, Dallas Shell, welded the Waco type bi-plane fuselage for Mike that is pictured in Mike Fisher web-site. At one time Mile Fisher advertised a kit for the Bi-plane for a while.

Dan

Topaz likes this.
  13. Aug 4, 2015 #33

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

I like that Mariah. Wish he had more info on his site.

I can't imagine it would be worth his while to sell them any cheaper unless he can subsidize the plans-only builder support with a bunch of kit sales.

The difference between $400 plans and $800 plans shouldn't deter serious builders.

14. Aug 4, 2015 #34

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I actually disagree completely. I have about a dozen sets of aircraft plans acquired over the years for anything from $50 to $200 or so. If I am lucky I will build and fly a couple of them. The rest are part of a collection, just like books on the shelf, and I look at them from time to time as a learning tool and just for fun. I am no longer a poor college kid and can afford to spend money on things that I like but I am certainly not going to spend $600-1000 unless I am **** sure I am going to build the airplane. I think he'd make a lot more money by selling the plans at a lower price so the both builders and dreamers will buy them (and the latter don't require much in the way of tech support) rather than making it such a significant investment.

15. Aug 4, 2015 #35

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

They're just two different models. At $600-$1000 per plans set, you're right - all he's getting are serious, motivated builders. Who probably don't need as much tech support as people who would buy plans at $200, even if they're serious about building the airplane. Plus there is a defined time and expense fulfilling every plans set, regardless of price. Selling a lot means doing a lot.

If the gentleman is older, and doesn't need the extra income, I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same thing. Spend the time and money with people who are serious, who aren't going to require him to be in his office or online all the time answering questions. That'd be pretty attractive in an already-funded semi-retirement situation.

Derswede and Jon Ferguson like this.
  16. Aug 5, 2015 #36

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

I love the idea of buying plans to kick the tires. But from the designer's perspective, he needs to be prepared to give you support. I like the preview plans model that Vans uses to address this issue. If I were halfway serious about building a particular plane, I wouldn't pay any ridiculously low price if I didn't think they'd be around to offer support just for the chance to see how the plane is put together. That is why I'd be more likely to buy the "overpriced" Fisher plans than the Affordaplane.

BTW, I have the free V-max and Falco plans but I expect nothing in the way of support.

17. Aug 5, 2015 #37

TFF

TFF

TFF

Probably after dealing with the public for 40 years, he wants to keep the riffraff away. In the total cost of a finished plane, its not too bad and it probably gets the builder a direct line. If I could build the biplane of my choice, it would be a Bucker Jungmiester; there are plans that knock around and they are about $1000. no need to buy just to sit, but if the stars aligned, I would not hesitate. Someone sells PT-22 plans like that too. Is there anyone selling 1000s of plans today? Pitts, FlyBaby,T2 and most of that generation sold thousands; over 5000 sets of each. Tailwind plans were always expensive about triple of its peers. Thats how the Cougar got started. Nesmith felt wronged when he built his Tailwind, so he redrew the plans with the spar spacing 1" different and different landing gear because of Wittman's patent, and offered the plans cheap. To Wittman's credit, he helped the Cougar people "fix" their planes; not requiring buying his plans for his advice.

18. Aug 8, 2015 #38

BJC

BJC

BJC

Does anyone here know if any of Henry Boulet's engines still exist?

BJC

19. Jul 21, 2016 #39

pit109

pit109

pit109

Does anyone here know how to contact Mike Fisher from Mike Fisher Aircraft?
    He doesn't answer to e-mails.

I consider of buying plans for the "Culex", but to make a decission some more information as puplished on his homepage would be neat.
    Does anyone here already bought plans from Mike?

Thanks in advance.

kind regards from germany
    Thomas

20. Jul 21, 2016 #40

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

His snail mail address is on his website. Try that one?