Quantcast

Whatcha runnin under that Cowl????

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mark Z

Yeah hush kits aren't gonna happen which make it a dinosaur in 2015 as a bunch of other low bypass older jets. These hamsters do get steroid shots to tune up because they turn that kerosene into music not noise!!

dirtstrip

Superior Air Parts XP O-360 180 hp but last winter I had it shipped to Ly-Con out in Visalia Calif. They ported and polished the cylinders for a gain of 4-5 hp each so about 20 gain there, then flow matched the cylinders to make this four run nearly smooth as a six. They replaced the 8.5:1 pistons with 10:1 for a gain of 30 hp. Because of the increased air flow they tweeked the cam to help breathing also. The shop says expect 230 hp now from the original 180. Ly-Con Visalia is the shop that built 13 of the 15 Red Bull Racer engines and does the porting and polishing of the new 180 hp Huskies and Scouts from the factory before going to their new owners. The shop comes highly recommended. An MT three blade will be pulling up front.

Detego

... Superior Air Parts XP O-360 180 hp
... last winter I had it shipped to Ly-Con out in Visalia Calif.
... They ported and polished the cylinders
... then flow matched the cylinders to make this four run nearly smooth as a six.
... They replaced the 8.5:1 pistons with 10:1
... they tweeked the cam to help breathing also.
... The shop says expect 230 hp now from the original 180.

Whats the turn-around-time, to have this work done?

dirtstrip

I am unsure since they had to set it aside and wait for parts from Superior. This upgrade in power was done while torn down for a prop strike. Not sure how much time was dedicated for the crank inspection magnafluxing, replacement of parts or the additional upgrade. I decided since it would be torn down for inspection that I would do this upgrade at the same time. Of course the upgrade costs were my own but my insurance coverage paid the tear down and required replacement parts, insurance also allowed me to pick the shop and paid the freight both ways on the engine so I was not limited to choice of shops by distances from them. From shipping to return, the engine was gone from Oct-Jan last year. I am only now getting time to work on the plane again to put it all back together

In visiting with the experts at Ly-Con I was told I could limit manifold pressures to 26 inches or under and not worry about detonation at lower elevations. At 5000' density altitudes it would not require monitoring as hp output decreases with altitude. My reasons for upgrading it were that I was short of power at high density altitudes in our flights through the Rocky mountains and the low climb rates there concerned me. The un-turboed answer to that problem is to start with more hp to begin with, but without adding weight of a larger engine. Fuel flows in their tests and customer reports show better economy in cruise after the upgrades by one gallon per hour. Most likely this will now be an Avgas only engine but they claimed it can operate also on 91 octane autogas by limiting throttle range to the same 26" level manifold pressure.

delta

I wasn't really happy about having to make a two stroke choice, but... it looks like a MZ202 will have to do for a while.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
1835 cc, 60 hp, VW that I built
Cont-C-85-12F that I am building now
Lyc-0-360 for my Bearhawk if I ever get it finished. Pops