What would you do with a plane you built, but do not want anymore?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

Supporting Member
Several years ago an old friend called me and told me that I had 2 weeks to come get his Zenith 600 project or its going to be cut up and scraped. Minus firewall forward and canopy. Had to stay in my family. I gave it to my oldest son and his oldest son.

Norm Langlois

Without that machine, there would not be, my airplane. That machine was one year of my life to build . After I had that I began making channel in the 2 sizes .Light weight ribs were a must for my idea to use a mono spar also made of sheet metal as you can see here. The T tail was not to be but still I made that and a V tail version before settling for the last. A tail with a mid tail inverted stabilator. I have the history in photos going through to the last hull design.

Attachments

• 100_0072.jpg
    100_0072.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 100_0079.jpg
    100_0079.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
I would hate to see the roll former be scrapped. If you could dismantle it or cut it to UPS size weight limit I would be interested. I remember asking about the roll former years ago on the EAA forum or here.

dog

Thanks for your replies .
I would like some enthusiastic individual to have it all. The plane and the metal working equipment.
The plane needs a lot of work now. Probably needs to be recovered and all the frame inspected for corrosion. That being said I would gift that to anyone or any institution.
The engine has been cared for that being the 440 Kawasaki has only a few hours on it. and is the only part I wish to be compensated for.
The real problem is finding interested parties.
I am 74 soon to be 75 in reasonable health . We all know life has no guaranties.

The list of equipment special to the build and transport is to much to list here.
I guess that is why I asked the question in the first place . The scrap yard is just up the street. I do not see the enthusiasm when a I go to the air shows any more.
Hi Norm
Please dont scrap it,give me dibbs and a few weeks.My metal working buisiness is just getting
going and I keep getting calls from shippers!,time to put them to work.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Supporting Member
I think Norm should sell or donate the roll former to someone that wants to sell formed stock to home builders.
The ultralight should go to someone else. Or Norm could keep the roll former and sell channel from the internet and ship with UPS. They will take up to 8 feet, maybe more.

Norm Langlois

The link above is photo history of everything about the plane. Sorry it does not include descriptive titles on the photos.
At the very bottom are flying videos
I copied that link from the 7th page of Norms flying boat if does not work try the other.
I am sorry if it seems I just tooting my horn . It is just for those asking about the plane only the rest know

Last edited:

WBNH

Norm: If I had a house/workshop/barn I'd be all over that. I always liked your innovative rib design. But the skills in your head and hands are the priceless magic. You've got to pass that on too. As a lifetime apartment-dweller with a lifetime of student loans, I know property will never be an option.

I recall your swing-wing seaplane was at Sanderson's Field for a Yankee Ultralight Flyers fly-in some years ago. I was involved there, a non-flying volunteer, at the time. Back when I was also still involved with EAA 225 at Skyhaven in Rochester....there were some there, a couple that are no longer with us, that I helped on their LMA UL project in the past.

Perhaps a market could be created for your roll former and formed ribs. Can they be retrofit to another design? If there were even an occasional call for a preformed set, it would be a nice side biz.

Last edited:

Norm Langlois

Yes the roll former was and still is viable. It makes endless stock from a roll of metal. It is what you do with the channel that makes all the difference.
I was just getting started with that part of the experiment. One only makes what one needs as one goes along . Each time I felt the need to redirect I found new ways to de form and make tighter and tighter radii. The wing can have a sharp leading edge making any airfoil possible. Note the horizontal inverted elevator it has one piece channel foam filled airfoil ribs. Note the inner most 2 airfoils they were rolled for the graceful inner end only because I could. .015 leading edge and trailing edge.
The last component I made was the tail ,only it has foam filled ribs. They are the best idea and the most compatible with any design you could dream up ,outside of composite.
I like metal and fabric for cost and toughness. Carbon composite is expensive and must remain flawless no bruising, allowed.

Attachments

• hull modification 020.jpg
    hull modification 020.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • new rib style 001.jpg
    new rib style 001.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 0
  • tail2.jpg
    tail2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

EmZee

Hello Norm,

I volunteer at a local 501c3 called Rockdale Tiger Flight. Many people have donated plane projects to us in the past and we gladly accept them. We have several projects now. We teach the kids (and adults) aircraft building skills and ground school lessons. We are currently building a Zenith 601HDS and repairing the wings of a J-6 Karatoo. The students all participate in the EAA Young Eagles Program. Please let me know if you are considering donating your plane to Rockdale Tiger Flight, and do check us out on facebook!

-Mitchell

Last edited:

Norm Langlois

Though I will consider all, distance to from NH. is a major factor.

Secondly though not a dead option, the Ultralight aircraft and there use is still considered by General aviation as a scourge, that should be extinguished yet.
Thanks to those that thought the LSA was the answer to rising cost of access to aviation.
Thus I am reserved to think the same fate would be, that my efforts would be in vain if handed to like minds.
It is an Ultralight and is in the US, a anyone can fly build and use without a license or age requirement HOW APPALLING.
If I sound bitter I am I see the death of private aviation , The aging group that made it so, has died or soon to be and our youth will not be able to set aside the cost to do such an expensive hobby. And those youth that are being exposed are to few to replace the pilots, dead or retired from flying.

McPeek78

Though I will consider all, distance to from NH. is a major factor.

Secondly though not a dead option, the Ultralight aircraft and there use is still considered by General aviation as a scourge, that should be extinguished yet.
Thanks to those that thought the LSA was the answer to rising cost of access to aviation.
Thus I am reserved to think the same fate would be, that my efforts would be in vain if handed to like minds.
It is an Ultralight and is in the US, a anyone can fly build and use without a license or age requirement HOW APPALLING.
If I sound bitter I am I see the death of private aviation , The aging group that made it so, has died or soon to be and our youth will not be able to set aside the cost to do such an expensive hobby. And those youth that are being exposed are to few to replace the pilots, dead or retired from flying.
I certainly understand where your coming from and it isn't just aviation, see the book "Bowling Alone". Just keep in mind that the sad departure of so many will leave a massive glut for the remainder of us still hanging on. But yes I do understand most of my friends are in their 70's and 80's and I am in a mad scramble to acquire their skills and tools. SO I CAN HELP OTHERS HANG ON TOO. Best regards my fellow birdman

VTFlyboy

I just picked up Norm's plane and equipment yesterday and have to thank him for the incredible opportunity he has given myself my son and his other friends and any other young people interested in aviation that are at all curious about the workings of planes and a way to get into aviation other than big expensive production airplanes. We are very excited to show the future of this plane and carry on what Norm started.

Attachments

• 304127835_667606618275636_8765458118694994818_n.jpg
    304127835_667606618275636_8765458118694994818_n.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 0

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I am glad to see that this project has found a local home.

I believe that I am the only pilot other than Norm to have flown this plane.

If I can be of any assistance please contact me. I too have lifetime projects that need young followers to carry on so I appreciate what you are doing for Norm and the Ultralight and aviation communities.