What would you do with a plane you built, but do not want anymore?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Norm Langlois

Any plane where you may be liable. Most specific to my dilemma an experimental UL
But also any experimental aircraft.
Would you scrap it ?

TFF

I think it depends. If you don’t want it released in the wild, it’s better to scrap it. Some people turn them into a project state, it does not bring the most money. It might live on successfully, if that’s what you want. Stuff like RVs and Glasairs usually have too much money tied up to not get it out. Most homebuilts today are on their second and third owner.

If you are really worried about being sued and you can afford it, dispose of it. You won’t loose a case, but it costs money to defend a case. Most people don’t get sued.

Cost to benefit. If it’s worth $5,000 and it will cost you a lawyer for $5,000, pay early and scrap or turn into something someone else will have to build as theirs. If it’s worth $50,000, a $5,000 lawyer is a good investment because you still get $45,000.

You built it for your enjoyment. That should be what it’s worth.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
NO, do not scrap it. That means the liability problem won and you as a human being lost.

You can donate it to a museum, you can sell it to a shopping mall to hang up as a display, you can hang up in a school to get kids interested in engineering.

You can sell it and simpy have the buyer sign a very strong liability release.

Would you "scrap" a company or business that you built when you retire, because of the liability?

"Honey, I'm tearing the BBQ restaurant down when I retire, because if I sold the restaurant to somebody they could possibly sue me or even you years later when someone has a heart attack after eating the Big Bubba Pork Sandwich"

dog

Any plane where you may be liable. Most specific to my dilemma an experimental UL
But also any experimental aircraft.
Would you scrap it ?
what about finding the plane,and any custom made metal forming equipment a new home?
say somewhere to the east?
here in Canada,piece of paper stating "as is where is,no warranty or guarantie of any kind"contact info and a witnesed signature would be indemnity
enough for anything that could be sold and shipped legaly with no permits,like airplanes and
metal working gear

Norm Langlois

Thanks for your replies .
I would like some enthusiastic individual to have it all. The plane and the metal working equipment.
The plane needs a lot of work now. Probably needs to be recovered and all the frame inspected for corrosion. That being said I would gift that to anyone or any institution.
The engine has been cared for that being the 440 Kawasaki has only a few hours on it. and is the only part I wish to be compensated for.
The real problem is finding interested parties.
I am 74 soon to be 75 in reasonable health . We all know life has no guaranties.

The list of equipment special to the build and transport is to much to list here.
I guess that is why I asked the question in the first place . The scrap yard is just up the street. I do not see the enthusiasm when a I go to the air shows any more.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
You can sell it and simpy have the buyer sign a very strong liability release.
Yeah, you can get some guidance on this from AOPA I think. Seems like they have a generic purchase agreement document you can download. Make sure whatever you draw up says the thing is being sold "as is", and you make no representation of its airworthiness or suitable for any flight related purpose.

Tiger Tim

I do not see the enthusiasm when a I go to the air shows any more.
The people I know who are out there building and flying aren’t really the air show types. The show isn’t for them anymore but airport BBQs or fly-in breakfasts or national club get togethers are great places to be filled with tight groups of true peers.

As for the airplane, I hate to say it but as a one-off in need of work there’s a good chance it will never fly again. That’s in my experience the sort of thing that ends up with someone who has boundless enthusiasm but also some ideas of their own and it will either come to some insurmountable task or just be tinkered on forever and never done. The good news is that alleviates liability concerns. It’s up to you then whether fuelling someone’s enthusiasm is a worthy fate for your airplane. If it’s a monetary thing and the alternative is scrap, I’d avoid scrapping. If you think the airplane deserves a better future and don’t care about making money, a cosmetic restoration and donation to be hung in a children’s library or similar would be fantastic.

Reactions: BJC

Norm Langlois

AS far as photos the history is here under Norms flying boat . The finer details need more to display to all. I will add more if needed for those interested I will make direct communications.

Bille Floyd

I was gifted the Best Rigid-Wing Hang glider in the
entire World the Atos VRX -- made in Germany.
It was gifted to me by a forum member here on
(Homebuiltairplanes) !!!!
In addition :
Another guy here on HBA , gifted me a RS-15
glider fuselage, to mold and blend into the lines
of the Atos VRX .

When I put an engine and folding prop on it ;
do you know what I will have ?
The Best ultralight motor glider in the entire world !!!!
The Swift is faster ; but ya can't put a swift in a
bag, and toss it on the top of your van. LOL

My point here is that someone out there would
really Really "LOVE" to own your airplane ; so
figure out a way to release your liability and
make someone else , truly "Grateful" !!!!!
It will be worth the Awesome dreams you will
have ; living vicariously through another humans
happiness .

BilleAtos vrx bones  (1).jpg

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Liability shouldn't be an issue; successful lawsuits against homebuilders just don't happen. Unfortunately, however, despite all the work you have into it, there just isn't much desire for a used one of a kind single seater with limited flight time. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't fly a design without a proven track record unless I had seen or done a complete aerodynamic and structural analysis. A school or static display might be your best bet.

I would beat it together as fast as possible , sell it to someone that knows nothing about flying , but thinks they do , and send a winning ticket to my X wife for the Premiere Sweepstakes Grand Prize first ride in it , worth $1,000.00 , and cross my fingers , watch the News and drink Beer . :pilot: 🐒

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Norm - Good to hear from you. I to am on the wrong coast but there was a time and place I would have loved to have your plane. Anyone with a house on a lake take note. Not on a lake, no problem. The airplane lives on a trailer.

To answer your OP question. No need to formally scrap it. This is my standard answer for any HBA sale. Do not sell the aircraft. Sell aircraft parts, Airframe, engine, instruments and data plate. Perhaps, particularly in your case, sell wing and fuselage and trailer all separately even though all go to the same buyer for as little at $1 or as a gift. This not only reduces your liability but lets the buyer present a bill of sale to the revenue collector for the part price not the aircraft price. The purchaser can build whatever he wants from the pieces or resale all or some of the parts. N number if any goes with the airframe. In your case there is no N number so there is even less liability.

I am in your same situtation also, to old with too many aircraft. I can include yours in my hanger sale and would love to have some young computer guru to help with that and benefit.

I do know someone that would benefit from your metal working equipment and would consider driving to get it.

For other readers. I have flown this aircraft and will advise any interested party. As a give away it is a great project for anyone within a few states in the northeast.

Don't anyone complain that aviation is only for the rich! This can be a great opportunity!

daveklingler

Liability is a concern but not much more than that, despite the hearsay that gets passed around.

Sell it or give it away with an agreement that says "as-is".

Norm Langlois

The equipment is many specialized pressure forming dies. This aircraft is built around a formed channel for the airfoil ribs. the main unit is a small but very heavy roll former also built by me. the roll former can make 3 channel sizes.
there is another channel bender that can roll that same channel into a coil if so desired. there are special de former dies to bend the channel in tight radi for attaching to tubing as small as 1 inch.
along with other special pressure dies to create the one piece internal rib.
a conduit punch set for the lightening holes in the fuselage with a special pressure flare tool.
I had access to a heavy duty hydraulic press, that I built for the company I worked for. A typical but large frame and it used a snow plow angle piston.
I had access to all the shop equipment so I dont have a 10 ft hand brake, lathes or a mill. Those machines were more required to make the dies that the airplane.
Missing to actually build another is the 10 ft brake and the hydraulic press.

Attachments

• 01plane starts here.JPG
    01plane starts here.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 02material is reshaped.JPG
    02material is reshaped.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 1brace with rib.JPG
    1brace with rib.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 3braceinstalled2.JPG
    3braceinstalled2.JPG