• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What we think we want.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddK

Supporting Member
It occurred to me a few days ago, that much of what I thought I wanted going into aviation has turned out to be either foolish, or just not really desirable.

1.) I thought I wanted to build an airplane and learn to fly it. That turned out to be the dumbest idea on the list. Flight instructors, schools, DPEs are all geared largley around a few easy to fly, reliable, and stable aircraft, from Cessna and Piper. That eco system works for a lot of good reasons, and trying to operate outside it would have been difficult to nearly impossible. Add to that the risk of damaging something you have sent years building, and it's just not worth it.

2.) Folding wings. I think a lot of people have this idea that they will trailer their airplane to the airport, fly it, then trailer it home. To save money. I have never actually seen it happen. Why? Most of the time, the folding and un folding requires dissconecting flight controls, and the removal of fairings, which is a hassel. Typically it seems that most people figure out fairly quickly that the extra time involved in loading and unloading, extensive pre and post flights, and associated rash are just not worth it, and either end up leaving the wings fixed, or keeping then folded inside a hanger.

3.) 4 seat airplanes capable of huge loads, and long range. Lets be honest very few of us will ever fly to alaska with the family and full baggage. In fact most of us will fly alone or with 1 person most of the time. 4 seaters are also much more complicated to build, and require much more power, both of which equal time and money. Why when its going to be just me and the little woman, or one kid? We decided early on that it was a bad idea to fly just me and both kids. Its either all four of us in a rental, or me and one kid.

4.) A high tech EFIS panel. (This is subject change) I really thought I wanted all that. Now, I only see the value in an electronic artificial horizon, and DG, as vacume systems suck... I much perfer the mechanical gauges, where I see the whole envelope at once, vs ribbons.

I have a few others, but am curious about the experiences of others. What have you all learned along the way

Last edited:
Back