What we think we want.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If you read it , you would know what we are talking about. :)
He bought an airplane from a friend of mine. PA-22 Pacer.

Aesquire

Oooh! Thanks! I think there might be a copy in Dad's library. If not, I'll get one. Great author.

The movie version of Flight of the Intruder has lines that became memes in the olde sense. Singing Downtown... "Do it Sandy! I'd do it for you."

What?A TRILOGY?!

see you guys later....

Last edited:

PTAirco

With the current hangar shortage and costs going insane, I think folding wings will make a come-back. It's insane how often I get asked if I know anywhere that has a hangar available. And then they ask "How much?" And then they ask "HOW much?!?!" Around here it's about $400 a month, IF you can ever find one. Waiting lists for years.

I agree, wing folding has to be super simple and quick or people, just won't bother. But you could build a purpose made trailer for the cost of a few months hangar rent and be done with that expense. I'd love to spend all that money on Avgas instead.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
With the trailer it is a compromise to get the floor either around the tires (wheel well inside trailer poking up through floor) or floor above tires (no wheel well) because how are you going to either get the airplane up on to a floor three plus feet in the air or the landing gear around the wheel wells inside. I made mine a flat floor that was hinged just aft of the spring hangers so it drops down and becomes the ramp. The aft section of the sidewalls are diagonally braced from the top corners back to the hinge line and the back wall is mostly a top hinged door. The floor section aft of the hinge line doesn't have to be level you can raise the end as much as you need so that wing stubs of a low wing can fit under the corner, the pie section between the ramp and the wall and the bit of end wall you have to have there in said corner as long as you leave enough height to house the empennage.

rv7charlie

There was a guy near show center at OSH 20+ years ago in a Stits Playmate (I think; 2 seat version). Whenever anyone stopped by to talk, he'd fold a wing and then unfold it. Took less than a minute to fold the wing, with just him manually swinging it. They certainly aren't traveling airplanes, but if storage is your most critical limiting factor, that's the quickest system I've ever seen. My Kolb probably takes 10-15 minutes a side (and requires folding the tail to fold the wings), and is much easier with 2 people.

The Stits guy also had an alternative engine (unfortunately, I've forgotten which one), but I do remember that he said he used an automotive wheel hub/bearing assy for the prop shaft. I thought it was a very clever way to use 'off the shelf' parts.

BJC

HBA Supporter

Bigshu

He was unsucessfully trying to build airplanes for the last 15 years, and never flew any of them :-/ He bought us both quads at the same time after I got stoked on them, and now he flies almost every day too. I like to think, he's tickled pink now, but wait until we upgrade to something more cutting edge, immersive, punchy, aerobatic, and banging...
I think FPV quads are the way to go. I always hated having to think about control inputs as the aircraft makes it's circuit of the field. Video in goggles just lets you fly by ground reference, the way it's meant to be. Plus, indoor racing through an obstacle course is a blast that can't be replicated, even with the pylon courses they have now.

Bigshu

to do something similar in an E-AB, would be complex to build, heavy, would requires hydraulic (or electric) power, and would complicate the fuel system.
Why couldn't it be just a manual fold system? An EAB wing weighs a lot less, and we don't need a complex synchronized scheme for the wing movement. Add in the idea that the wing only needs to fold up to be less than the span that's street legal, and the hinge can move outboard on the wing, which reduces the weight of the folded panel, and the forces acting on it.

Bigshu

Once you add much more that that, however, and especially if you want any kind of electronic navigation tools (still just VFR), then the price points start to merge and then electronics come out cheaper. MGL and GRT in particular have packages that challenge traditional instrumentation on price if you want any kind of moving map.
For VFR navigation, with capability I don't use for weather/ADSB in, and virtual instruments, I use an Ifly GPS 740B. I also use the ifly app on my Android phone and Ipad, which gives me a neat split screen with EFIS/moving map onscreen with synthetic vision (including labels for nearby airports that you can click on for plates and direct to nav. Super useful). The Ifly hardware isn't very expensive, and the app is cheaper than the more well known software out there.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Why hasn't the old Grumman folding system where you fold the wings along the fuselage, caught on?
It didn't seem as if you has to disconnect the aileron controls. Is that because they were cables?

Heavy?

Expensive?

Complicated to build?
Why couldn't it be just a manual fold system?
My comment was in reference to “the old Grumman system”.

BJC

Hawk81A

Why limit it to a folding wing? With a low wing, you could do a folding empenage. Might have to have horizontals fold too, but that shouldn't be difficult.