• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What way does a builder go?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don january

I want to talk about the designs and mainly plans out there that a person can buy and build there own aircraft from. Rather its a RV-3 or a PDQ what plans are the ones to build off of ? I know this is a rather hard question because many have looked them over but never built from them. For me I have a range from Starduster II to a simple PDQ and have found that when it comes to the building of any plane it's about the detail and hidden aspects that come up in each area of the build. For instance on say the Taylor mono plane a builder has to have experience with building in wood to fill in the blanks and I find this disturbing for the builder that has never crossed that bridge before. In the last few years I have seen members get motivated about one craft and change a few times and still in holding pattern. We all talk about builder support and ease of material location and I have seen this is a main issue that hold builders back. I have to ask myself is it the mission? the fear of taking on the project? or just plain fright of taking the first step? to me these questions have held many builders from getting started and I would like to see a stepping stone to aid builders on there start to fulfill their dream of getting air born. I know there is a thousand different opinions from people on what build to go with so I would like to hear from some who has built a few and discovered that a certain plane was the one that was with ease and the prints where covering all aspects of the build. I will start by saying the Taylor-monoplane is a work of art but not for the first time builder IMO. lets hear your thoughts.

Back