What was the first airplane you flew in and how old ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ava

....I noticed your response to the question and about teaching your self to fly.. I don't think their are a lot of us left that did that...
Hi,

I did cut and paste a quote-- in #155-- from the 1933 Edition of the Modern Mechanix Flying Manual about the way people used to teach themselves to fly. But I had a very good CFI-S instruct me per all the relevant regulations. If I had built the Pietenpol myself, and it belonged to me, I would have tried a few practice taxis. However many it took... The tail comes up almost at once and liftoff solo is easy-- under 200 feet... But... I would have kept it on the ground... :rolleyes: You know... 'cause you have to. But I didn't, and I don't, so I couldn't.

Anyway, I soloed it-- after being properly endorsed-- at 9.5 hours of dual, and I passed my checkride at 47.75 hours of which 24.5 were solo. It's also possible that I may have a fair bit of unlogged stick time-- not instruction mind you (that would not be legal), all my logged instruction is from a CFI-S who properly endorsed each and every item he instructed me on-- coming from trips taken with licensed pilots who legally logged PIC time as I manipulated the controls. If that in fact happened :rolleyes: ...

I'm saying it like that because I keep getting messaged by others who say what I did "cannot be done." It would be funny if it wasn't annoying. 'Cause, you know, right after I paid him, the DPE asked to see the airplane's OLs, certificate, and logs, as well as my certificate, ID, log book, written test, and application. So, I'm just taking a wild guess that he knew more than SGOTI. :rolleyes: YMMV...

Last edited:

Woodenwings

6yrs old. Wardair Boeing 747 named "Phil Garret". YYZ to Gatwick. Reverse thrust mechanism broke. Spent additional 6hrs in Gander getting it fixed. Had black forest cake at 1:30 am en rout while everyone was asleep! Just me and the stewardess hanging out!

It was very memorable!