What was the first airplane you flew in and how old ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

thompsonbb

DHC-2 Beaver on floats in Alaska. I was 15, and working through ground school for my ppl when we did a family trip to Alaska. My dad chartered a Beaver float plane to take us out to a forest service cabin on a lake on Admiralty Island. My dad suggested that I sit up front in the right seat next to the pilot. At some point, we're cruising at 500 ft above the coastline, the pilot looks over and notices my written test study guide. He asks me if I'm in ground school, and if I've started flight training yet. I told him I hadn't, and he said "well, it's about time you did", and he threw the yoke over to my side and let me fly it for the next 20 minutes.

Warren Hall

Lots of great stories here. Me 7 yes old Piper tripacer, standing up in the back, too excited to sit down, probably no 3rd seat belt their either.

First powered flight, solo ( no dual available), pegasus canard, 17 yes old, after about 1,000 hrs rc model flying and a few dual glider flights. Had to fly 2.5 hrs the next weekend to find an instructor to get a license.

Wingnut510

I was about 4-5 years old (1967-'68), the aircraft was a Cessna 175 variant, that is me on the right. I wish the N number was visible, I would love to know if this aircraft is still around and what actual model it is.The Three Amigos_(75% smaller)_20220331.jpg

Attachments

• The Three Amigos_(75% smaller)_20220331.jpg
    The Three Amigos_(75% smaller)_20220331.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0

philr

I was hours old and I think it was a Cessna 185 on floats flew me an Mom home from the hospital to our flight-in only home. The hurry was because freeze-up was just around the corner. The next morning the Lake was frozen so good call whoever (probably Dad). After freeze-up it was a few weeks till the ice was thick enough for more flights depending on weather.

Hawk81A

It was probably a Cherokee. All I know for sure, it was a 4 seater, low wing, single engine and IT FLEW. it was a free flights for the scout group deal. Probably about 1970 and I was 8th or 9th grade. Dennis

tinkerdad

TriPacer, 8 years old, Tucson, 1959. My dad had a photography business and would charter the TriPacer for aerial shots of real estate. He would have them remove the rear door. To get vertical shots, he would have the pilot circle the property to the left, loosen his seat belt a little and lean over with his foot on the main wheel. He wouldn't climb a ladder at home though. I got to fly front seat and hold the yoke for a bit. On landing approach, I got real tense when the pilot slowed the plane way down and hauled back on the yoke. I knew intuitively he was screwing up and it would stop flying and fall, and it did - a few inches onto the runway. The unique smell of avgas, plastic trim etc. stayed with me for life.

Last edited:

X3 skier

12 yo. I flew on a TWA Lockheed Constellation from CVG to LOU as a birthday present. Back in those good old days, the Captain let me sit in the Pilot seat and actually touch the controls. Someplace in the junk in my house are the tin wings they gave me.

Cheers

JohnB

Minus 3 months !! Dad and Mom landed on a deserted stretch of beach close to Rockport TX known as Cedar Bayou. Fabulous fishing, have landed/camped/fished there dozens if not 2-300 times over the last 77 yrs. My ashes will go there on an outgoing tide about 50 yrs from now. Aircraft flown there, 170, 180, Champ, Pacer, Tripacer, RV3, Seabee.

Ava

....But, then again, the guy who designed my airplane did not have an instructor and taught himself to fly. So...

"Some of the more daring men have actually taught themselves to fly by the time-honored method used by the pioneers in this country about 1910; this system consists of first "taxiing" around on the field until they could handle the plane nicely on the ground; then short straight-away flights of a few feet while the plane is barely off the ground; then making longer flights at a higher altitude, as skill and confidence are required, until finally they found themselves banking, zoomin, and performing all the other feats that are commonplace in the lives of experienced aviators...

"So it goes until the young pilot is absolutely at home in the air, and can fly any type of plane without difficulty."

-- 1933 Edition of Modern Mechanix Flying Manual (The Pilot & Builders Handbook)

Last edited:

WBNH

Beaver on floats, Moosehead Lake, Greenville, Maine...I think I was 11, so probably @ 1986. Just a scenic Ride flight...but I got to sit copilot, so really cool.

J.L. Frusha

"Some of the more daring men have actually taught themselves to fly by the time-honored method used by the pioneers in this country about 1910; this system consists of first "taxiing" around on the field until they could handle the plane nicely on the ground; then short straight-away flights of a few feet while the plane is barely off the ground; then making longer flights at a higher altitude, as skill and confidence are required, until finally they found themselves banking, zoomin, and performing all the other feats that are commonplace in the lives of experienced aviators...

"So it goes until the young pilot is absolutely at home in the air, and can fly any type of plane without difficulty."

-- 1933 Edition of Modern Mechanix Flying Manual (The Pilot & Builders Handbook)

I would like a copy, if you can send it, or a link...

Tomy

My dads PA-15 Vagabond (C85 powered)
When I was 2 years old.

Hillarious,

I soloed with 9:45 of dual instruction. Same thing, after shooting touch and goes for 45 minutes my CFI-S had me do a full stop and I made another full stop all by myself. Then I flew more touch and goes by myself.

People have told me that 9:45 doesn't prepare you adequately. But, then again, the guy who designed my airplane did not have an instructor and taught himself to fly. So...
Sorry I'm new to Forums, not even sure how to post correctly here so Ill reply to you.
I noticed your response to the question and about teaching your self to fly.. I don't think their are a lot of us left that did that.
I was on my second step dad, it was early 60's and the new stepdad was a crop duster. Actually an alcoholic crop duster. I was 10 or 11.
I was the kid that was always in trouble. Probably because as my mom used to say " I was just built that way".
I thought the trouble was likely because I was used to living on a ranch with lots to do, dogs, horses, chickens, cows, pigs, barns, tractors, heaven!! Looking back now I know better and my mom was probably right. At 5 or 6, I was driving a tractor in Colorado pulling a hay sled out in the fields with big guys picking up bales tossing them on and when full one of them would take over. I was just supposed to "keep it straight, slow and don't hit the bales. and this was probably because I was always causing some kind of trouble, riding sows (pigs), or something I was not supposed to do.
And then, Poof, now ,mom, divorce again and a move near a relative's near the city out skirts.
Now I'm stuck, In a yard. Probably yes, still in trouble constantly ,worse probably.
Soo my mom figured what worked before that I was bored and needed something to do, rightly soo.
Sent me out with her boy friend to flag for him. He was a crop duster.
He went in very early and got off early usually so I still had time to play and drive my moms old car she didn't use, a fiat I think. I was allowed to go up and down the side road where my friends lived about 5 miles away.
Anyway this was A small Co of 3 or 4 planes he was the senior pilot I guess because he just got the Company's new Ag cat!
Gorgeous plane, fire shoots out of it! Its a radial, Its amazing!!
Especially in the morn when its dark! I was hooked the first day!
He was a great pilot and had the scars to prove it even to the point of lots of burn scars on his face and missing fingers from crashes.
I would go in early with him and when we were loaded up and ready I would jump on his lap and off we would go for one field or another usually within 50 or so miles.
When we arrived he would land somewhere near and I would jump out and run to the end of the field and wave my flag. every 20 paces and when he lined up, run to keep from being sprayed to the next 20. Under wires and any where he wanted!
And yes we were in a couple of fender benders , broken gear and wing tip bumps. never serious and I was not allowed to scare my mom with these stories. Soo, I would flag, until the end of the day or until the field was done then he would land (usually next to the field and pick me up).
Off to the next field!!! Wow I was in heaven!!
In the afternoon he was pretty soused because he would doze off and me setting on his lap would get to fly!!
He woke up on the first couple times and said "this is the gas gouge , DONT let it get below here". and pointed to the lower mark on the gauge. Be careful don't go to low or too high and stay around here Don't go to far!
So I would follow the roads around and around and up and down at about 500 ft and elbow him to wake up when the gauge got near the lowest line. Talk about hooked on flying!! Wouldn't teach me to land, I think he was afraid I would go back to home field (a road beside the owners house) and land and get him in trouble.
My first personal plane was a c 140 and after a few years I got my ticket in that plane, mostly because I was sure someone would sooner or later ask to see my license although no one ever has!
I've had several planes and now, including a beautiful 170B.
I've just retired, I would like to build a Zenith 750 or 750 hd. On my small budget. Anyone have a partly finished kit to sell? lol.
Glad you are all here thanks for the great stories!!

kent Ashton

First airplane: Eastern Airlines 727 on the way to Lackland AFB to become a 2nd Lt and pilot (If I could hack UPT). :) We washed out 50% of my UPT class before graduation. Toughest part for me: T-41s (CE 172). "Roller, roller nut and bolt secure. Hinge pin, two cotter keys, actuating arm nut and bolt secure." etc.

RIP Mr. Craig Jones, IP at Del Rio Flying Service who took pity on me.

Last edited: