What to lube a vintage motor with to store?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jumpinjan

Whats the best thing to lube a vintage motor with for long term storage? I was thinking about using Vaseline on the crankshaft & other sleeve bearings, so it will not run off. I want to prevent corrosion. Would a pure mineral oil work and not evaporate away? I want to pickle some Ranger engines and store them away.
Thanks,
Jan

Midniteoyl

would think just about any 'anti-rust'/preservation oil would work... just make sure to mist the block/parts well, bag them in a vacuum, and use desiccant.

orion

R.I.P.
I'm not sure about the use of CorrosionX in an engine.

One local shop I talked to about a year ago about this said that for longer term storage they like to use STP Oil Treatment, coating all the parts prior to assembly. The thick, honey-like lubricant sticks quite well to all the surfaces, is very resistant to running off or evaporation, and generally allows the engine to be put back into service with minimal prep since unlike some thick greases, the product is fully compatible with most oils. Apparently even on exposed vertical surfaces the thick fluid leaves enough of a film to provide longer term protection.

But I don't know what they consider to be "long term" storage. Could be that for very long term pickling you'll need to go to something a bit more optimized for the application.

Here's something that Google turned up: The best rust preventive preparation I have found is the Lee Liquid Alox lubricant. This is actually the same material used by the Ziebart Co. to rustproof automobiles, and is a mixture of 45% calcium soap and 45% mineral spirits (petroleum distillates). According to Alox Corp., who sell the product under the stoc no. 606-55, this material was intended to be sprayed on to protect naval machinery on the decks of ships against salt spray. It is very much like the cosmolene grease used on weapons during WWII, except that it does not have to be heated to be applied, and it can be readily thinned by dilution with mineral spirits, or heated in a double-boiler (taking proper precautions against fire).

And then we also have Cosmoline: http://www.schafco.com/cosmoline.asp